Snow birding, diving and an RV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eblanch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I live in Utah and am wanting to snowbird this winter to warmer climates. I have a 33 foot RV. After xmas and through New Year's, I will be in San Diego. Following that, the open road is calling. I plan to stop at all the best dive sites along the way. It's my dream to log dives in all 48 continental states. This winter I will obviously stick to the warm, coastal states. (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, the Keys etc).

I am looking for good people who are interested in meeting up in these states and diving. Also, if anyone wants to join in on a leg of the road trip, that would be great! There's plenty of room for dive gear.

My dog, 2 cats and turtle are along for the ride too. I plan on doing a lot of free camping to keep costs down and devote that money to diving!

Awesome! I hope you post as you go so we can enjoy this adventure with you! As soon as I am an empty-nester, I will be looking into snowbird diving too.

How unique a Utah snow birder! How unique a Utah Diver...

Mrs.Miller and I have had a travel trailer for 30 plus years and have used it in our diving adventures especially in Baja California to reach and camp at very isolated areas that has never or seldom been dove .

I would suggest the construction of a external drying rack on which all the wet equipment can placed secured and dried. Ours is securely attached to the rear bumper via large 4 inch U bolts. It is foldable for storage and travel.

Hopefully you have an out door shower for rinsing equipment and your body. We have foldable matts so we have no contact with the dirt

I would suggest that you join the Elks or Moose lodges ..they have campgrounds attached to their lodges most with full hook ups ---and they are VERY inexpensive as compared to commercial campgrounds.

The southern US bordering the ocean is a Zoo especially in the colder months ...In the warner months the Snow birders head north and there is a reason--- very high temperatures and almost triple digit humidity every day. We tried it two summers ago...too hot and too humid for Californians ---too hot we melt too wet ? we don't know since we have not had rain forever.. But we probably will dissolve..which some would say not a bad thing

Where are you located in Utah ? It is a big square state..

SDM

Good luck. We used to do the RV thing but switched to condos for snowbirding. The N. Gulf of Mexico may be the cheapest condo rates in Jan./Feb.--March iffy. There are 3 dive shops in the Destin area on the panhandle, but difficult finding local buddies in "winter"--Too COLD..... There are a couple of campgrounds around there, the most popular being Camp Gulf in Sandestin, just E. of Destin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom