FL trip question - how much gear to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are traveling within the great US of A, I'd ship using UPS.

I've been curious about the reasons people do this. Financially, it doesn't make much sense for me. IF I'm traveling on a scuba-only trip, I can get all my gear and a few changes of clothes into one suitcase, under 50 lbs. If I'm flying JetBlue, Southwest, or Delta, my first bag is free. For other airlines, I pay $25 each way.

Shipping cost for 40lb 6-days from Oregon to Key Largo is $80.
Luggage fees, are at most $50.

So, to ship I pay $30 to $80 more. What do I get in return? Is UPS more reliable than checked bags? Maybe. Is it more convenient? Maybe, but boxing and shipping twice isn't a picnic either.

For two of us, it is slightly better, but still more money ($10 to $60) to ship.

Am I missing something? Maybe my location makes it more expensive. Shipping from NYC or Chicago to Key Largo might be cheaper, and more attractive.

I've been curious about the reasons people do this. Financially, it doesn't make much sense for me. IF I'm traveling on a scuba-only trip, I can get all my gear and a few changes of clothes into one suitcase, under 50 lbs. If I'm flying JetBlue, Southwest, or Delta, my first bag is free. For other airlines, I pay $25 each way.

Shipping cost for 40lb 6-days from Oregon to Key Largo is $80.
Luggage fees, are at most $50.

So, to ship I pay $30 to $80 more. What do I get in return? Is UPS more reliable than checked bags? Maybe. Is it more convenient? Maybe, but boxing and shipping twice isn't a picnic either.

For two of us, it is slightly better, but still more money ($10 to $60) to ship.

Am I missing something? Maybe my location makes it more expensive. Shipping from NYC or Chicago to Key Largo might be cheaper, and more attractive.

What you are saying is true if the traveler doesn't have to pay for extra weight to the airlines and they can travel with ALL that they need for their trip, no problem. I traveled all over the world with my dive equipment with me on the same flight. I can only remember two trips where the luggage was one or two days behind.

What you are saying is true if the traveler doesn't have to pay for extra weight to the airlines and they can travel with ALL that they need for their trip, no problem. I traveled all over the world with my dive equipment with me on the same flight. I can only remember two trips where the luggage was one or two days behind.

Yes, add some additional destinations or activities, needs for clothes, or work/vacation combinations and the whole equation changes. Christmas at the grandparents always necessitates a ship-home box, even without scuba gear.

I remember seeing a concierge luggage service somewhere. They would arrange shipping of your luggage or gear wherever you needed around the world, multiple stops, etc... but of course, it was for those that don't care about the added expense.

I remember seeing a concierge luggage service somewhere. They would arrange shipping of your luggage or gear wherever you needed around the world, multiple stops, etc... but of course, it was for those that don't care about the added expense.

If you know who they are and their website or FB page, please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom