New tank question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't have any such problem with the DGX tanks I got.

What do you mean by "any such problem"? Do you mean your LDS filled a brand-new tank you received from DGX without requiring their own visual inspection?

As I expected, my LDS didn't give any weight to the green and yellow sticker with Sept. 2016 punched out that DGX included with (but did not affix to) the tank.

What do you mean by "any such problem"? Do you mean your LDS filled a brand-new tank you received from DGX without requiring their own visual inspection?

As I expected, my LDS didn't give any weight to the green and yellow sticker with Sept. 2016 punched out that DGX included with (but did not affix to) the tank.
I got stickers attached to the tank, they decided they were good enough. I get these tanks filled at 4 different places and nobody had issues, though 1 or 2 looked at it for a while.

I got stickers attached to the tank, they decided they were good enough. I get these tanks filled at 4 different places and nobody had issues, though 1 or 2 looked at it for a while.

Ah. Such is the roll of the dice with local dive shops. As has been pointed out many times, each is free to make whatever demands they wish. I ponied up the 15 bucks to have my pony meet their requirements. I'm sure they looked inside, said "yep it's brand new," and stuck their sticker on it.

Both but who can blame them

Not the shop that recognise what is going on, accepts the brand new tank with a valid vip sticker, and fills the tank of a new and hopefully long term customer without unwarranted charges.

Evad is right, since the shop owns the compressor they can do whatever they want. Assuming the tank was shipped without the valve in place, a good shop with nice, knowledgeable employees would take the brand new empty tank, look inside to make sure its new, screw on the valve, and fill it, charging only for the fill. They might gain a new customer, and sell that customer his next tank.

However, there are many shops that would not fill the empty tank without charging for an inspection. It's a crap shoot.

With regards to nitrox, if the shop is using partial pressure fills, they may want to O2 clean ANY tank and valve, regardless of it's origin. Banked nitrox should not be any problem.

I bought a new tank last month. From my LDS. I could have Saved some money by buying it online but I believe in this LDS. Single owner, runs the shop himself, and he's good to me.
For instance, one of my first stages was having a problem, he traded his (we have the same kind) to me until it is fixed. That's cool.
It cost a little more, but he's always available (at least by phone) and helpful. He actually delivered the tank to my house! !!

I've not had a problem getting my pony filled with the DGX sticker on it. None of the LDSs here stock anything but AL80s, so what do they expect, I figure.

I understand that a few feathers have been ruffled by one of the big-box sporting goods stores selling AL80s and other dive gear but not offering service or air fills. They do not include a VIP sticker with their AL80s, and so the LDSs charge for the inspection when people bring them in for their first fill. I don't think anyone ends up happy with that arrangement, except maybe the big-box store.

I've not had a problem getting my pony filled with the DGX sticker on it. . . .

Hmm. My pony came from DGX in a box with the sticker in the box, not stuck on the tank. I assumed the point of them not sticking it on the tank before shipping was to give the customer the option of sticking it on or not. Because all I wanted was an air fill, not Nitrox, I decided not to stick it on. Rather, I just brought the whole box to the LDS, explained it was brand new and came with this "Nitrox ready" sticker with this month's date punched out. I guess that was my mistake. Naive of me. Anyway, it's water under the bridge--a $12 vis from the LDS and now I'm all set for a year.

I assumed that shipping the sticker loose was intended to allow the customer to affix it where it would not interfere with stage rigging, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom