Looking for SUUNTO D4 screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
image.jpeg

Hi all,

I have a SUUNTO D4 & need to replace the screw in the back. SUUNTO Customer Support won't sell it to me. They say I need to send this old computer back to them to get the new screw replaced, charging me an arm & a leg for it, otherwise I'll void the warranty. Well, it's 5 years old. It's out of warranty any way. What's a big about not selling me a simple screw?

Is there another source to get such screws?

Thanks
Dan

I wish I took the pictures of the screws when they were out of their holes. I just replaced its battery. It works fine. I won't try to unscrew them again until the next battery replacement, which will be 2 years from now. So, I just took some pictures from some YouTubes, as shown in the pictures, below.

I followed the battery replacement procedure from this video:
I hope those pictures are what you want to see.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

View attachment 382601
Is there another source to get such screws?

I expect there is, but you would need to have the specifies of the screw, thread type, length, diameter. I have had the best luck with small 'special' screws taking an example to a speciality 'nut and bolt' shop and matching.

What is wrong with the current one(s)? have you damaged the heads, using the wring screw driver. In your image it looks like you may have a 'posi' drive bit/head. Is it a bad idea to use a Pozidriv screwdriver on a Phillips head?

You could consider a bit of lube on the screw threads to minimise any corrosion and help remove in the future.

Thanks for the feed back, Tbar & Murky Waters. It's not counter sunk. It's a mushroom type head. I'll definitely need to replace one of them on the next battery replacement. I can still loosen it, but I'm afraid I won't be able to tighten it up in the next go around. I think I sheared the Phillips head & rounded the + socket when I tightened the screw at a wrong angle (not at perpendicular to the head). I was glad to not screwing up the 2nd screw. So the first screw will need a new one.

Is there no support from a local shop? My shop would certainly be able work something out. I have a D3 that's kicked the bucket, I'll check and see.

EBay sellers have some equipment that is offered "just for parts", so it might be worth a check. If you did find a broken item, you could harvest extra screws for the future.

My LDS wants to send it to SUUNTO & charge $25 on top. I'd rather send it directly to SUUNTO & skip the middle man.

SUUNTO repair service mentions "The minimum service fee for any repair requests is $25 which includes 3 Fault Analysis Tests and freight costs".

This time I changed the battery & o-ring myself. Other than one screw with rounded Phillip screw head, the rest seem to be fine. The previous data are still there, not getting wiped out & reset. May be for the next battery change, it's a good idea to let SUUNTO run the 3 Faulty Analysis Tests & replace the battery, o-ring & screws.

Back
Top Bottom