Flashlight on tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bartek

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello

I am looking for dive groups willing to test the flashlight Miranda 7280

It has a few solutions other than everything is for sale

1) power supply li-ion 18650 9 pieces inserted into the tank in series

forming the battery is sufficient to power head for 1.2 hours

2) 7x XPL led
COLOR TEMPERATURE 5000K
70 ">Color rendering index CRI> 70
STREAM LIGHT least 8050lm 8365lm max (LED junction temperature 85 ° C)

Power consumption 70Wat
Supply current LED 3A
Light efficiency typically 117lm / W (If = 3, Tj = 85 ° C)

electronics used in the head protects the batteries from deep discharge, controls the light 3 modes, protects the LED from overheating, allows you to measure the current battery capacity.

and what is even cool at the threshold of battery discharge automatically switches the torch to the lowest mode, allowing you to enjoy the light for another 20 minutes

3) Pull focusing optics (colimator) - gives the opportunity to use the 7280 Miranda lighting photo-video

I'm curious what you have in mind.

I don't understand all of what you wrote.

Does the light only last 1.2 hours from a full charge?

It has 7 x Cree XP-L LED emitters in it? The XP-L, has a max output per LED of 1150lm. So, 7 would yield a theoretical max of 8050 lumens, as you specified for the minimum. But, in real life, it would necessarily be considerably less. Still, even if it's only 5000, that would be a pretty darn bright light.

What do you mean by pull focusing and using it for lighting photo-video? Does it have an adjustable beam angle? What is the mix and max? I found a video of someone diving with the Miranda 7280 and it looks like a pretty narrow beam angle.

9 18650's and it only lasts 1.2 hours?

Seems like it must put out enough energy to run a BBQ?

As per Stuart, we politely request additional information. Also try to convince us why this light is better than a bunch of others that we already know about...

P.S. Yes Bartek we understand English is not your native tongue. So it may take a few exchanges to fully communicate.

Cheers...

9 18650's and it only lasts 1.2 hours?

The XP-L is not as efficient as the XM-L, so it should be expected to go through battery faster than the lights we (I, anyway) are used to. Also, the 8365lm claim suggests that they may even be pushing more current through the LEDs than they are spec'ed for, so chewing through batteries even more quickly.

I figure 1 18650 (of average capacity - not one of the really good 3400mAh ones) will drive an XM-L2 at "full power" for something like 70-90 minutes. So, 9 x 18650 driving 7 x XP-L and running for 72 minutes doesn't sound that far-fetched. Especially if it has the kind of circuitry that maintains full brightness as the batteries get close to empty.

Just my speculation, anyway...

The XP-L is not as efficient as the XM-L, so it should be expected to go through battery faster than the lights we (I, anyway) are used to. Also, the 8365lm claim suggests that they may even be pushing more current through the LEDs than they are spec'ed for, so chewing through batteries even more quickly.

I figure 1 18650 (of average capacity - not one of the really good 3400mAh ones) will drive an XM-L2 at "full power" for something like 70-90 minutes. So, 9 x 18650 driving 7 x XP-L and running for 72 minutes doesn't sound that far-fetched. Especially if it has the kind of circuitry that maintains full brightness as the batteries get close to empty.

Just my speculation, anyway...
understood - i have a bunch of single 18650 lights (2 different brands). They all get over an hour on high. I never use them on high. So I do not understand the need for a light that takes 9 of them...

But we are all here to learn.

Let's find out all we can about this light.

9 batteries to power 7 LED emitters that is each as bright as the single emitter in lights like the DGX 600. In theory, the light should be a LOT brighter than a DGX 600. And with those LEDs being less efficient than the one in the DGX 600, there is your need for 9 LEDs.

If it has a way to get a 100 or so degree beam out of it, I might really like to have one as a video light. ESPECIALLY if it would switch on the fly between a 100 degree beam and an 8 degree beam.

So, I watched the video and looked at the website (Thank you, Google Translate!).

Miranda 7280

It looks like the light head can be changed between a 14 degree and 120 degree beam by removing the front of the light head and taking out a part. The part looks like something that just puts a little focusing lens in front of each LED emitter. So, with the collimator(?) in there, you get a 14 degree beam. With it removed, you get 120. I was hoping for being able to change the beam angle during a dive, but that's still pretty nice.

One thing that is unclear is @Bartek's original post said it has "XPL" LEDs. The web page says XM-L2.

Another thing that is unclear is the video shows removing individual 18650 cells from a charger and installing them into the can - implying that you charge the can by removing the cells, charging them as individuals, and putting them back in. But then the web page says:

[translated by Google:]
tray made of anodized aluminum with dry connector through which we also charging li-ion battery pack

That and their page for their XHP70 light make it look like you can also connect a charger to the can and charge all the cells together, while installed in the can.

As a side note, I've never owned a can light. Their video shows how you can change the light to a video light with a ball mount to mount on a camera rig. My question is, if you mount the lights on a camera rig, what do you do with the can and what do you do when you get out of the water? If the can is on your belt and the lights are on the camera rig, doesn't that mean you don't have any easy way to detach the camera rig from the diver? So, no easy way to hit the surface, swim over to the boat, and hand the camera rig up to a deck hang before getting out? Is this where you would want to have E/O connections on all the light cables?

Also, it looks like the light sells for 430 Eur, which is currently about USD$480. That's the light with a charger (a 10-slot charger for individually charging 18650 cells) and a carrying case that holds the whole package.

Back
Top Bottom