Looking for SUUNTO D4 screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would retire it to daily use on land and spend the $25.00 on a new computer other than Sunnto.
The brand new Deep 6 is to be have for $139.00.

Well, it's going to be a while to retire it, as it has new battery & also I have SUUNTO Cobra2 console back computer. Having both computers from the same company will give me the same diving profile algorithm.

EBay sellers have some equipment that is offered "just for parts", so it might be worth a check. If you did find a broken item, you could harvest extra screws for the future.

Thanks. Not much luck, so far, but I'll keep an eye on eBay.

...I have a D3 that's kicked the bucket, I'll check and see.

Does the back of D3 have similar 2 screws like the ones on D4? I looked through the internet webpages, I saw what D3 front face look like, but none shown the back side.

It sounds like the screws (or at least one) have been compromised. Removing it now, taking it to a specialty shop like fastenal, and replacing both of them would be good insurance. A much better deal than flooding it in the middle of a dive.
For that matter, $25 is pretty cheap compared to a flooded computer.
What's your time worth to you? Tear the screws out, hit a store or two trying to find them, drive home and fix it, maybe. Couple hours at least. I am worth more than $12 an hour. But that is just me.
Put there is more to it. The right tool for the right job. Do you have an inch pound torque driver? Without it and the proper spec you risk damage to the new screws or the threads in the body. And now the time to dollar ratio is out the window.
Finally, if it fails mid dive, you lose the dive(s) that day ($50-100+) the travel, ect. That $25 plus shipping just became the deal if the century.
Just wanted to offer another view point. Hope it helps.

It sounds like the screws (or at least one) have been compromised. Removing it now, taking it to a specialty shop like fastenal, and replacing both of them would be good insurance. A much better deal than flooding it in the middle of a dive.
For that matter, $25 is pretty cheap compared to a flooded computer.
What's your time worth to you? Tear the screws out, hit a store or two trying to find them, drive home and fix it, maybe. Couple hours at least. I am worth more than $12 an hour. But that is just me.
Put there is more to it. The right tool for the right job. Do you have an inch pound torque driver? Without it and the proper spec you risk damage to the new screws or the threads in the body. And now the time to dollar ratio is out the window.
Finally, if it fails mid dive, you lose the dive(s) that day ($50-100+) the travel, ect. That $25 plus shipping just became the deal if the century.
Just wanted to offer another view point. Hope it helps.

Good idea. Thanks! I'll drop by The Little Watch Shop tomorrow, where I usually get my watch battery replaced in Houston, Texas, and see if they can get me 2 new screws.

I do have in-lb torque wrench, but not torque driver. I think this screw is way too small for using torque driver. Besides it has flat bottom head. So I typically just use jewelry screwdriver, wet the threads with loctite, install the screw until the turn stop & the head flat bottom meet the flange face. I used to repair PDA like Sony Clié, where there are small plastic parts being fastened with tiny screws.

On the D4, I did fine with fastening the 1st screw. However, on the 2nd screw, I twisted the screwdriver on to the screw head at an angle, instead of square (straight perpendicular to the flange face (late in the night & tired after a long day of work) and the head Phillip (+) hole turned into a cone hole, sort of. I still can remove it, the counterclockwise part of the Phillip head is still look good, but not for re-tightening it.

Last edited:
The Little Watch Shop has the same problem. No screw for me. They ask me to send it in to SUUNTO. LOL. So, I'll do it 2 years from now, in the next battery replacement.

If it's flooded between now & then, I'll use my backup SUUNTO Cobra2 console dive computer & get me a different wrist dive computer.

Does the back of D3 have similar 2 screws like the ones on D4? I looked through the internet webpages, I saw what D3 front face look like, but none shown the back side.
It might, I'll dig up my D3 and see. FYI, Suunto is having their trade in /trade up special on right now......also, we just got a bunch of the new Aqua Lung wrist op computers (RGBM algorithm) similar to the D4 but around $200.

Wow, sounds great! Unfortunately, I just put a new battery on my D4. So, I'm good for 2 year or got flooded, whichever sooner. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom