Sportsways harness spotted on feebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that you own it, begin researching its genealogy...or heritage ?
Suggest
1) Famous western movie star who was an early active diver
2) Famous pioneer diver...began diving in 1929
a) pole spear....spear fisherman ....SoCal Spear fishing meet
b) inventor-
c) LA County UW instructor
3) Dick Klein
a) established a number of pioneer diving companies ...one survives

SDM

Sam,

Why not just tell us what you know? I'm interested-what's with all the mystery?

In the past I have read quite a lot about Healthways, Sportsways and Scubapro and the people involved in those companies and their evolution.
I have been trying to do more research using the clues provided by Sam but so far I have found nothing regarding this particular piece of equipment.
As a collector I have learned that there are some things that are very valuable because of their rarity. I have also learned that there are some things that are so rare that very few people are aware they exist and therefore they have little value. Unfortunately I'm begining to think this harness may be the later.

This backpack has been one of my favorites for a long time. It combines the best of the harness and the flat plate to help prevent tank rolling. All I know about it is that it was introduced prior to 1960. It is last seen in the Sportsways catalog of 1960. In 1961, they changed to the curved backpack that was copied by many companies in the 1960s. In 1960 the retail was $15.95. It was made of great materials, stainless steel plate and fixings and the trade-mark orange nylon webbing.

"...All I know about it is that it was introduced prior to 1960. It is last seen in the Sportsways catalog of 1960..."

Thanks Simonbeans! That is the kind of info that is useful to me. Now the hunt is on for 1960 and earlier Sportsways catalogs. If I could find a patent number I would be ecstatic.

"Actually, the seller had a second back plate and I purchased it. It will go onto my mint 72 along with my Mistral and the whole set up will be on display in my office. :)"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By gum I have a new diving hero !

"Preserving past, in the present, for the future"
I commend you for your efforts and concern

Should you like to know the history of the back pack give me a buzz and we will chat

SDM

a few hints
Diver... know for his pole spears ...only person to win an international spearfishing meet with a pole spear
Now California pole spear meet in his honor

Movie star...in movie "High Noon" He and his family active SoCal recreational divers

s

Movie star: Gary Cooper
see: 5 Questions with Bob Meistrell

Dead Dog (aka Bill)

I should have known you would have the answer ! I just calculated and you have been actively diving almost 60 years ....And those years passed so fast! The question is what he heck are you and I doing on this board?

Yes it was Gary Cooper (aka Coop) and possibly his wife Rocky who created the concept and design of this back pack in about 1957 or 1958. This back pack is one of the first and with the involment of Coop makes it very "historical". Coop wanted some method to eliminate the straps and bands which cluttered the deck of his boat. A single back pack that could be interchangeable was the answer.

Yes Coop, Rocky and his then teen age daughter were members of the local tribe. There were a number of movie stars who were divers in that pioneering era that are very familiar to you and I.

Jim Cagney was a diver, He owned the land across from the AC. When he gave up acting and moved east he sold his boat the Veleron to Jack Kirk who converted it to a dive boat. I suspect you dove off of it and didn't realized its heritage.

Recall Jeannie Crane ? What a absolute natural beauty ! Harry and I had been spear fishing all day at the island and decided to have dinner at he isthmus. In walks Jennie and her husband John and sat down beside us. They also had been diving but at a different level that Harry and I. Created the basis for a great conversation that lasted long into the night (but did not get us an invite to their boat )

John Wayne lived down the road from the AC. His sons were all divers and when his young son was certified John went in to the AC for equipment and wanted a discount ...Ron indicated his shop was a professional shop and did not give discounts to any one and sent the Duke on his way....Ron was one of a kind, I sure miss him.

And all were certified by LA Co Underwater instructors...NAUI was 5 or so years in the future and PADI was 15 years distant

There are a number of clues in my first post as to who actually produced the first back pack which was modified and copied by Sportsways. might want to check my 20 or so year old Discover Diving (now defunct Magazine) article "The Mask" for additional clues as to who actually made the Back Pack (I suspect you will be the first to research the history and come up with a name)

Recall the clues:

2) Famous pioneer diver...began diving in 1929
a) pole spear....spear fisherman ....SoCal Spear fishing meet
b) inventor-
c) LA County UW instructor
3) Dick Klein
a) established a number of pioneer diving companies ...one survives

The intrigue continues......

SDM
Me? I am off to the beach with my little dog Max

What a waste of Dead dog and my time..

Dead dog to research the movie star Gary Cooper's involvement in designing and having the original back packs custom made by ????? (that is the unanswered question)

And my time and effort to respond to Dead dog.

Just as I thought ...No interest by the original poster Fossil diver, Tridacna who wanted the history, and Simonbeans who had a comment about Sportsways copy.

Lets consider this thread closed due to lack of interest.

SAM

I'm still interested. I have rounded the search down to about 3 or 4 possible candidates. Dick Bonin, Lamonica of JBL fame, Lloyd Bridges (there is a picture of him wearing what may be this harness but it is hard to tell) and Lacoque are just a few of the names that keep coming up.
The clues throw me off on so many different tangents it is difficult to fit the pieces together. If you hadn't said Cooper was involved in the design I would have never known. There just isn't much on the web about Coopers involvement in the scuba industry.
I did mention that I have seen Heakthways harnesses that look identical except for the missing S. Is it possible these are actually Sportsways harnesses that have been misidentified as Healthways?

There is little similarity between the Healthways plate harness and the Sportsways backpack in this thread. The Healthways is basically a flat plate with bands holding it to the tank. The Sportways has narrower stainless straps for this purpose. Healthways was black coated and Sportsways was non-coated stainless. The Sportways had nylon straps with a sternum section. Healthways was originally cotton and later nylon. Completely different designs.

I know the Healrhways plate you are talking about. Iy is black with rounded corners and looks nothing like this one.
The plates I am talking about are identical except they don't have the big S stamped on them. People are listing them on feebay as Healthways plates. I think they are mistaken. They may be early production Sportsways plates?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom