picking up rental car in coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i found a map on the dollar web site showing the office being a couple of blocks up benito juarez (spelling?) and around the corner. only a short walk. anyone know if this correct ? i have very bad luck when it comes to following maps found online. many times i have found the maps to be not even close to showing the right location.
Benito Juarez is the NW-SE street that separates northern streets from southern addresses. It starts at the ferry pier altho vehicles cannot travel it for a couple of blocks - gotta go around the plaza, and extends to the other side of the island as Transveral. If Dollar has a downtown office, that's news to me.

i did call dollar and they told me the office was "near the airport". very helpful. (he said sarcastically)

address is listed as......ave 70 norte esquina blvd. not sure if that helps anybody or not. sure doesn't sound like the address that is shown on the map.
That address is at the airport, 1.6 miles from the ferry dock, and the only location I know of for Dollar.

I think you looked at this site: Dollar Rent A Car - Car Rentals - Rent a car from Dollar Rent A Car | Car Rental Lowest Rates | Dollar
The Bing map is very wrong on where it spots #1 & #2. It does show the correct location for the airport. The other address listed there of CARRETERA CHANKANAAB KM 4.5 COSTERA SUR sounds like 2 or 3 miles south of the pier, but I am not sure - and I don't know about Dollar being there?

Last edited:
hi. we are taking the ferry over to coz on a saturday and have reserved a car with "Dollar" for our stay. anyone know where the Dollar pick up location would be ? and how best to get there from the ferry dock ?
thx
rick
Have you been to Cozumel before? I know it is the American Way to rent a car so that you have autonomy on the road, but cabbing around may be the best bet, especially for a first timer. It's a very small island, and especially if you are staying in town, a rental car may be more of a liability than an asset.

Out of curiosity I went to this site and found amazingly low rates and drilled a little further into the insurance section, it was mind numbing. Has anyone out there rented from these folks (looks like its a Mexican franchise not the US Dollar car rental corporation) and know how much the insurance on one of these vehicles bumps the rate up to?

From the options section of the site:mad:
COVERAGE
INSURANCE COVERAGE OPTIONS: Dollar highly recommends that U.S. customers purchase insurance to help protect them against personal liability in Mexico for damages to the rental car or to third-parties and their property. Customers who do not purchase insurance coverage’s from Dollar, and who have not arranged for other insurance coverage that is valid in Mexico, may be personally responsible to Dollar and/or third-parties for damages up to the full value of the rental vehicle and/or for all damages caused to third-parties and their property. The validity of insurance for claims occurring in Mexico is governed by Mexican law. Customers considering whether to purchase insurance from Dollar are directed to the advisory for U.S. travelers to Mexico that is contained on the United States Department of State website, which states in part: “U.S. automobile liability insurance is not valid in Mexico, nor is most collision and comprehensive coverage issued by U.S. companies.”http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/mexico.html (emphasis added). • For your convenience, Dollar offers for purchase at the rental counter several insurance-type products that can help reduce or eliminate your liability for damages to the rental vehicle or for injuries or damage caused to third-parties while you are driving the rental vehicle in Mexico. Although each of these coverage’s is optional, Dollar strongly recommends the purchase of appropriate coverage’s for your own protection. • Collision And Theft Coverage: Dollar offers two types of insurance to protect you against damages resulting from collision and theft. • Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): LDW covers certain damages and losses to the Dollar vehicle caused by collision and theft, except for a deductible payable by the renter. (LDW coverage excludes damages caused by vandalism; excludes any damage to the tires, glass, rims; and excludes other incidentals.) The LDW deductible is US $1,500 for Economy through Full-size vehicles, and US $2,500 for Minivans and SUVs. If LDW is declined, the customer will be responsible to Dollar for damages up to the full value of the rental vehicle. The price for LDW coverage is US $20 to US $22 per day, depending on the vehicle category and rental location. • Super Damage Waiver (SDW): SDW covers all damages and loss to the Dollar vehicle caused by collision and theft, with no deductible. It also covers tires, glass, rims, and other incidentals not covered by the LDW. (SDW excludes damages caused by vandalism.) The price for SDW ranges from US $15 to US $17 per day depending on the vehicle category and the rental location. SDW can only be purchased together with LDW and Supplemental Liability Excess (SLE). • Personal Liability Coverage: Basic personal liability insurance (PLI) is included in the base rental rate and covers the liability of the driver for bodily injury to third parties and for property damage (other than damage to the rental vehicle) up to a maximum of MXN 750,000 pesos. You are advised, however, that this basic coverage may not cover the full extent of your potential liability for personal or property injuries under the laws of the various states of Mexico in which the injury or damage may occur. For personal injury claims, a driver in many Mexican states may be liable for between MXN 2,000,000 to MXN 4,000,000 pesos in liability per person, per occurrence. • If you desire additional liability insurance protection to better protect you against the liability exposure for a particular State, Dollar offers the following protection: • Supplemental Liability Excess (SLE): SLE increases the basic PLI coverage to MXN 4,000,000 pesos. The price for SLE is US $16.99 per day or less. • Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): PAI reimburses medical expenses for the driver and passengers of the rental car up to MXN 200,000 pesos. The cost of PAI is $4.99 per day. • Credit Card Deposit Requirements: Depending on the type of insurance purchased, Dollar requires the following credit card authorization hold amounts in addition to the estimated cost of the rental. Amounts subject to these authorization holds will not be available for your use while the hold is in place: CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION HOLD AMOUNTS IfYouAccept The AdditionalCredit Card Hold Is: LDW SDW SLE No No No $2,500 No No Yes $1,200-$2,0001 Yes No No $2,000 Yes No Yes $1,000-$1,5001 Yes Yes Yes $500 1 Depends on vehicle class and rental location.
:surrender:
Then there is an extra $4-10 a day for your spouse or each additional driver, this is why I have always used Isis.

looks like its a Mexican franchise not the US Dollar car rental corporation) and know how much the insurance on one of these vehicles bumps the rate up to?

Glad you realized this. Hertz, thrifty and dollar even tho you rent thru the same website are a only associated by name. If you call the 800 number for help at the Cozumel location they will tell you this.
As far as insurance goes yes they quote you like$14 aday online but then after insurance will be $60-70 aday. Which you don't have to take but is HIGHLY recommended. Isis does have a ten percent deductible but I believe you can pay extra for zero deductible. You will be renting from a very honest local women margarita who is great. She has convertible vws for $35 aday and jeeps and geo tracker type vehicles for around $50-60 aday. You can walk there easily from the pier. Goolge ISIS on tripadvisor and you will find emails and more info.

Well there is clearly one at the airport:

Car Rental – Dollar Rent A CarCOZUMEL AIRPORT | COZUMEL AIRPORT | COZUMEL, , MEXICO 7760052 987 8692957

This looks like they have one down south? I know I rented a car years back from a booth down around Occidental Grand.

Dollar Rent A Car - Car Rentals - Rent a car from Dollar Rent A Car | Car Rental Lowest Rates | Dollar But clearly the one they show downtown on the map carries the airport address.

Easy: Catch a cab to dollar rental at the airport.

Perhaps harder: See if they will pick you up at the Ferry or deliver the car to you there at the ferry? Mexico is all about service. The office number should be that 987-869-2957 which is probably a landline.

well it seems the consensus is that the map is incorrect (shocking i know) and that the actual location we would use is located at the airport. i guess we will cab it from the ferry to the airport and keep our fingers crossed. thx everyone !!

They might pick you up? Save a few bucks.
85 Pesos unless the new rates have started, less than $5 USD - not worth the bother in trying to arrange. Well, if you don't have Pesos handy, some taxis are giving 10 to 1 rates, but maybe he will get an honest one?

They might pick you up? Save a few bucks.

i would try that but not sure when we will be crossing over on the ferry.

85 Pesos unless the new rates have started, less than $5 USD - not worth the bother in trying to arrange. Well, if you don't have Pesos handy, some taxis are giving 10 to 1 rates, but maybe he will get an honest one?

we found you really have to be careful with the exchange. a lot of people try to take advantage of tourists for sure. especially if you pay in u.s. or canadian and then get the change in pesos.

Back
Top Bottom