Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I decided to cancel my order for the GPS only version. I will still have an original VHF version. I spoke with them and they are absolutely coming out with a newer version on the VHF radio with GPS, but NO date of when that product will be announced. They are going to send out emails when they launch the product.

Wonder what they will inoperative and improve? ?

I spoke with them and they are absolutely coming out with a newer version on the VHF radio with GPS, but NO date of when that product will be announced.

Well that is at least some good news!!

I was thinking if the life line was attached to the top of your smb? Higher=more range??? I'm sure that is too easy, or there is some inherent problem that I can't see.... but if not then the signal can be boosted so to speak
Sooo... Maybe what they need to add to the kit is a small gas cartridge like the one whipping cream gas comes in, only with helium in it, and a balloon on a reel of wire with the antenna attached.

Can I get this post notarized? :D

And that is how changes are made. Maybe something like the plastic widget in the Guinness cans....lighter and well ok no beer just then, oh hell why not a special Guinness can with an extra widget with He? I'm gonna experiment with adding a pocket to the top of my smb And yes if someone @ggunn developes that balloon why wouldn't I want it? I've been paying car insurance for 40 years, house insurance for 20+, never used them, well ok just a couple of fender benders but these devices are just insurance in my mind. Hope to never ever need one, but just in case.

I'm gonna experiment with adding a pocket to the top of my smb
Does yours stand up that much? Maybe my 15 year old low cost sausage needs and upgrade.

've been paying car insurance for 40 years, house insurance for 20+, never used them
You seem to a much better driver than me.

Does yours stand up that much? Maybe my 15 year old low cost sausage needs and upgrade.

I'm hoping the small rescue me won't be too heavy, and of course in high winds, seas it won't work at all.... I'll post pic of my results, good or bad

You are too quick. I was like OMG!!!! no wait, Gun got it.....

If I put it on top of mine, it'll definitely flop back to the water, guaranteed. :)

What is the difference between a foot or 6' elevation (if you manage to put it on top of a stiff SMB) with a 1 watt power transmission antennae Nautilus Lifeline that is searching for another radio receiver in a boat bobbing on 3' wave, in comparison to 5 watt power transmission 10" long antennae PLB1 that is shooting straight up to the sky searching of the SAR satellites that will be always up there? I say HUGE.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom