Raja Live-a-Board recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize because I know this is a very frequently asked question. I have a few questions so I'm putting them in one post:
1. Good, midrange priced live-a-boards for Raja? Plus or minus $5000 for 10 days?
2. Best time of year?
3. Any particular itinerary or just as broad as possible?
4. Anything else my group needs to know? It's for my LDS with about 16-20 folks. Could be less if necessary.
Thanks.
Rob

Last edited:
Dewi Nusantara. Last I checked it was about $5K for 12 nights. Time to go is pretty well governed by where they are at what time of year because boats leave RA for Komodo area when appropriate. With the major boats, the long trip time will pretty well cover a good/great itinerary. Only thing is really just deciding whether to go through Manado or Jakarta and then getting a hotel in Sorong. I went through Jakarta so I was already on the plane in Makassar rather than meeting the plane in Makassar (if I miss the plane in Makassar due to connection, I'm screwed for a day). I just stayed overnight in Jakarta transit hotel and never left the airport and it was fine and easy due to early morning flight to Sorong. Re-confirm domestic flights in Indonesia because despite local travel agent, I found I had no seat at like 4 AM for 5:30 AM flight. Only the hotel service I paid to check me in got me on the plane because I didn't speak the language and was pretty screwed.

There is plenty of food there to get you by. To avoid potential gastric distress additional task loading, I brought oatmeal packets to have something to survive on for Sorong breakfast. If you like spicy noodle breakfast (which I did), then you are all set for breakfast in Indonesia. Dinner in Sorong I thought would be good spicy chicken turned out to be beaks and toes or something so it is possible to go off the rails though good food is out there. Food on the boat was very good to excellent when I went with Western and local food and fruit.

Plan schedules to handle delays going into and out of Sorong and they are frequent. If you can handle going outside for more than transiting to the next air conditioner in the summer in Chicago area, then I don't have to warn you about the potential heat in Sorong airport. Leaving at the airport was tough as we were stuck in big lines with no aircon, so a couple people almost passed out despite being reasonably hydrated. Certainly surviveable by many but be prepared as the transit lounge itself has fans only and no aircon. While there marvel at the local folks standing around with coats on while you are dying in shorts. :)

If you have never been on this length trip, note that it can turn into a bit of a marathon if you want to dive all 30+ dives (which I would recommend trying) Pace yourself early as the diving just keeps getting better. It's about keeping your ears healthy to take up and down and equalizing. If you use a camera and like to decompress after exciting dives, the SI can get pretty short, and many days of getting up early. Always do the first morning dive as viz is best.

Thanks, Shasta-man. Tons of good information. We'll factor all of that in as we start planning.

Rob

Another option is La Galigo Liveaboard, about the same price, $5k for 12 days. You can inquire more about it by going to lagaligoliveaboard | lagaligo liveaboard or La Galigo Liveaboard

I went with them in their Ultimate Raja Experience trip last December. That was a blast. Typically they will be in Raja Ampat from October to April, then they will head down to Komodo for June to August. I think they plan to go to WaKaToBi in September 2017, before heading back to Raja Ampat.

After that Ultimate Raja Experience trip, I decided to charter it for a special 13-day crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong for November 2017. I worked with the owner, cruise director & a DM that knows about Banda Sea to detail the crossing trip itinerary, as posted here: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

Sorong has now new air conditioned airport. I was there last May with my dive buddies from Houston to dive in Pulau Pef. Here is a trip report: Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

Enjoy your trip to Raja Ampat. You won't be disappointed!

It is the best dive destination in my little world, so far. I may change my opinion after going to GBR in this coming November or Galapagos in this coming December. :)

Last edited:
Plan schedules to handle delays going into and out of Sorong and they are frequent. If you can handle going outside for more than transiting to the next air conditioner in the summer in Chicago area, then I don't have to warn you about the potential heat in Sorong airport. Leaving at the airport was tough as we were stuck in big lines with no aircon, so a couple people almost passed out despite being reasonably hydrated. Certainly surviveable by many but be prepared as the transit lounge itself has fans only and no aircon. While there marvel at the local folks standing around with coats on while you are dying in shorts. :)

There is a new airport terminal in Sorong now. I imagine that the temperature in the terminal is now decent. Last November they were still using the old terminal and I found the only bearable spot was in front of a barely functioning ac unit.

Dewi Nusantara. Last I checked it was about $5K for 12 nights. Time to go is pretty well governed by where they are at what time of year because boats leave RA for Komodo area when appropriate. With the major boats, the long trip time will pretty well cover a good/great itinerary. Only thing is really just deciding whether to go through Manado or Jakarta and then getting a hotel in Sorong. I went through Jakarta so I was already on the plane in Makassar rather than meeting the plane in Makassar (if I miss the plane in Makassar due to connection, I'm screwed for a day). I just stayed overnight in Jakarta transit hotel and never left the airport and it was fine and easy due to early morning flight to Sorong. Re-confirm domestic flights in Indonesia because despite local travel agent, I found I had no seat at like 4 AM for 5:30 AM flight. Only the hotel service I paid to check me in got me on the plane because I didn't speak the language and was pretty screwed.

There is plenty of food there to get you by. To avoid potential gastric distress additional task loading, I brought oatmeal packets to have something to survive on for Sorong breakfast. If you like spicy noodle breakfast (which I did), then you are all set for breakfast in Indonesia. Dinner in Sorong I thought would be good spicy chicken turned out to be beaks and toes or something so it is possible to go off the rails though good food is out there. Food on the boat was very good to excellent when I went with Western and local food and fruit.

If you have never been on this length trip, note that it can turn into a bit of a marathon if you want to dive all 30+ dives (which I would recommend trying) Pace yourself early as the diving just keeps getting better. It's about keeping your ears healthy to take up and down and equalizing. If you use a camera and like to decompress after exciting dives, the SI can get pretty short, and many days of getting up early. Always do the first morning dive as viz is best.
Thanks, Shasta-man. Tons of good information. We'll factor all of that in as we start planning.

Rob
Shastaman, How do you go about reconfirming flights ? How long before the flights ? We have internal flights booked with Garuda, Lion (multiple flights) and Express, do you recommend that we reconfirm all these ?

WAOW is a must do if it match with you budget. I think they can welcome up to 20 people onboard and offer different itineraries in West Papua from the beginning of November to end of February (their cruise schedule is done as per the seasons, to be at the right place and the right time). They have different itineraries including Raja Ampat, Misool, Triton Bay and Cenderawasih Bay.

Glad to help. I know hearing about the reality of the big trip can help a lot.

Short answer is I would confirm at least a few days before leaving for Indo to try to make sure it is good then reconfirm again the night before if possible. I also recommend using any local offer from the transit hotel for assistance. I believe that was the only reason I made it on the plane I thought I was on. When I flew in to Jakarta the night before leaving on the domestic flight, the airport transit hotel offered, for a small fee, to take me over in the morning and get me checked in. In the morning I heard that they were having trouble confirming me. On getting to the airport and trying to check in, they told me that I didn't have a seat and wasn't confirmed. My travel agent in the US had used a local agent. That local agent was certain I had been confirmed but could get nowhere with the airline over the phone. The person from the hotel spoke the language of course and was able to get me through security and convinced the airline to take me and give me a seat (in first class, (first class was just row one) next to a guy who was coughing the entire flight and I thought was going to kill my diving). They may have improved their web presence so you can confirm flights online but be sure to bring a printout or something showing you are confirmed.

I apologize because I know this is a very frequently asked question. I have a few questions so I'm putting them in one post:
1. Good, midrange priced live-a-boards for Raja? Plus or minus $5000 for 10 days?
2. Best time of year?
3. Any particular itinerary or just as broad as possible?
4. Anything else my group needs to know? It's for my LDS with about 16-20 folks. Could be less if necessary.
Thanks.
Rob

Hi Peweediver,

The MV Ambai of Wallacea dive cruise, is a 105' wooden boat, designed for diving, that accommodates 16 divers in great comfort. Her 11 night cruises in Raja Ampat (November to April every year) covers the entire park from Misool to Wayag.
Schedule and rates are on this page. The corresponding factsheet can be uploaded here.

And to get an overview ... please check this video:

Eventually here are the recommended flights to Sorong.

Thanks, Indo Bubble. I did already look up your boats and they looked very nice. Will your group be represented at DEMA? My LDS owner and staff will be there and I'm giving them the results of my research for them to find the right boat. Thanks.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom