En suite bathroom worth extra cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on liveaboards with lots of different bathroom arrangements including: a single shower for the entire big boatload of people, one bathroom shared between a few cabins, a sink in the bedroom with an ensuite "wet room" where you shower with the toilet, and a good-sized private ensuite bathroom and shower. The last option is my favorite but I wouldn't settle for anything less than an ensuite wet room so that I would have a private shower and toilet.

And I can't tell you how important it is to have easy access to a bathroom if you get seasick!
There isn't a boat captain on this planet that would ever fail to brief you to never barf in the head. You never ever barf in the head. On any boat.

And I can't tell you how important it is to have easy access to a bathroom if you get seasick!
Even worse needing to use the shared head after someone else has been sick in it...:D

I don't think it is worth it. Even on the aggressor boats when I have had an in suite bathroom, I usually shower on the deck and use the head on the deck because the bathrooms in the suite are so small.

The main convenience for me is getting up at night to pee. Aside from that, I found it no big deal either way. You're going to be sharing the bathroom either way.

Richard.

Some people are more interested in an inexpensive trip and will happily forgo things like en suite baths, or just really don't care. Others will pretty much not even consider a trip without. Only you can say where you are on that spectrum.

+1. Yes, really only you can answer that for yourself based on your own budget and personal preferences.

Since this is a boat in the Bahamas and an en suite bathroom is an optional extra I'm guessing you are taking a trip with the Juliet? If so I personally wouldn't pay extra for it. I thought the shared bathrooms on that boat were always fine, and most of the time I just showered on deck in my bathing suit after the night dive anyways.

I recently finished my first liveaboard trip where we had our own bathroom and it was a nice additional luxury, but for only four days I'd save the money and put it toward another dive trip instead.

Since this is a boat in the Bahamas and an en suite bathroom is an optional extra I'm guessing you are taking a trip with the Juliet? If so I personally wouldn't pay extra for it. I thought the shared bathrooms on that boat were always fine, and most of the time I just showered on deck in my bathing suit after the night dive anyways.

I recently finished my first liveaboard trip where we had our own bathroom and it was a nice additional luxury, but for only four days I'd save the money and put it toward another dive trip instead.

Yes, the Juliet. Though sadly, they cancelled that trip.

My first livaboard was a shared room with 2 of us. We shared a wet room shower / toilet with the room next to us which also had 2 male divers. It was very convenient to have the toilet available at night but we had to wait if it was occupied. We used the hot shower on the back of the boat rather than have the bathroom constantly wet. It worked reasonabley well.

My second liveaboard I was fortunate to have the room to myself as the other berth did not sell. I had an ensuite private bathroom with shower. Given the choice I would pay the extra 40/night for this convenience, but I could certainly survive without it. Of course I used to live on a submarine so I could get by under most circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom