Weight belt vs. Integrated weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apeks RK3 belong to the best fins there are. Obviously you need decent technique to get the most out of them, but they're waaaaaay ahead of the Caravelles (if you mean the Aqualung Caravelle).

... except that my belt twisted around on the first dive.

Keep to do a few more dives to sort my act out.

Contemplate using a rubber belt or DumpsterDiver style rubber belt (rubber belt attached to nylon webbing. The webbing goes through SS QR buckle).

I distribute my weights almost evenly between trim weights on the tank (non ditchable) and integrated weights. Still fiddling a bit.

I distribute my weights almost evenly between trim weights on the tank (non ditchable) and integrated weights. Still fiddling a bit.
A good rule of thumb is 1/3rd of weight (Tank/SS BP/etc.) over lung area. The rest on the waist for trim.

As with most things, it depends on the person, the equipment, and the circumstances. Both weightbelt and integrated weights come with advantages and drawbacks. Generally speaking, I find the pros and cons lean in favor of integrated weights for warm-water diving, and weight belt or weight harness for cold water diving ... or for the latter, a combination of the two works well too.

Integrated weights provide a convenience factor, and are generally easier to ditch if the need arises. But they make your rig heavier, which has some drawbacks when it comes to changing tanks on a boat ... sometimes requiring you to remove the weight pockets in order to do the switchout and put them back in again at some point before the dive. Not a biggie, but an extra step (and I have seen people not remember to replace the weights until after they've jumped in, which then requires assistance). The other ... very uncommon ... consideration is if you have to remove your rig underwater. If you have weights in the BCD instead of on your person, that results in a negatively buoyant rig and a positively buoyant body ... which want to separate while you're doing whatever you needed to do with your rig off. It's not a big deal as long as you remember to keep your rig above you to prevent an unplanned trip to the surface while your breathing apparatus sinks to the bottom.

Weightbelts can require more effort to ditch, depending on the style of rig you're wearing. And with a lot of people's body shape they can slip below the hips, making your dive less comfortable if not downright inconvenient if you have to reposition and tighten the belt. Again, not a big deal ... but something most people would prefer to avoid. In some cases, weightbelts can also put too much weight too low on your body, inhibiting proper trim and requiring you to mount trim pockets somewhere higher up to hold some of your weight ... the most common place would be on tank straps, which introduces its own set of drawbacks.

A weight harness can remove some of the inconveniences of a weightbelt ... but they're expensive, and have their own drawbacks. I recently (thanks to ScubaBoard and the generosity of a donation from DUI) acquired a weight & trim system, which I love using in my local conditions ... which require drysuit and heavy undergarments. But this past week-end I discovered one drawback, while diving out of a friend's small RIB that requires the removal of your rig for re-entry onto the boat. The weight and trim system sits underneath the rig, which means you have to take your rig off while wearing your weights ... not a real good idea when you're wearing 20 or more pounds in your harness. What I ended up doing was digging the weights out of the pockets and tossing them into the boat first, then removing my rig and climbing overboard with the weight harness still on my body ... and then replacing the weights once I was safely back on board. A couple extra steps, but doable. You just have to think about it and do it before taking off the rig.

As is usually the case, the system you choose will depend on the reasons why you would want to choose it, the consideration of the benefits and drawbacks of each choice, and weighing which of those matters most to you. Each will require you to adopt specific steps in your routine. There is no "best" way which will universally apply to everyone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've tried and wanted to like integrated weights over the years. With my body shape it just didn't work out. So I've come full circle ,back to a belt for me .

I dive a dry suit in cold water. When I dive recreationally, I have integrated weight pockets on my BP/W. When I dive doubles or sidemount, I have 10 lbs on a weight belt. In my next warm water trip, I'll be in sidemount. I'm guessing I won't be using a weightbelt.

As with most things, it depends on the person, the equipment, and the circumstances. Both weightbelt and integrated weights come with advantages and drawbacks. Generally speaking, I find the pros and cons lean in favor of integrated weights for warm-water diving, and weight belt or weight harness for cold water diving ... or for the latter, a combination of the two works well too.

Integrated weights provide a convenience factor, and are generally easier to ditch if the need arises. But they make your rig heavier, which has some drawbacks when it comes to changing tanks on a boat ... sometimes requiring you to remove the weight pockets in order to do the switchout and put them back in again at some point before the dive. Not a biggie, but an extra step (and I have seen people not remember to replace the weights until after they've jumped in, which then requires assistance). The other ... very uncommon ... consideration is if you have to remove your rig underwater. If you have weights in the BCD instead of on your person, that results in a negatively buoyant rig and a positively buoyant body ... which want to separate while you're doing whatever you needed to do with your rig off. It's not a big deal as long as you remember to keep your rig above you to prevent an unplanned trip to the surface while your breathing apparatus sinks to the bottom.

Weightbelts can require more effort to ditch, depending on the style of rig you're wearing. And with a lot of people's body shape they can slip below the hips, making your dive less comfortable if not downright inconvenient if you have to reposition and tighten the belt. Again, not a big deal ... but something most people would prefer to avoid. In some cases, weightbelts can also put too much weight too low on your body, inhibiting proper trim and requiring you to mount trim pockets somewhere higher up to hold some of your weight ... the most common place would be on tank straps, which introduces its own set of drawbacks.

A weight harness can remove some of the inconveniences of a weightbelt ... but they're expensive, and have their own drawbacks. I recently (thanks to ScubaBoard and the generosity of a donation from DUI) acquired a weight & trim system, which I love using in my local conditions ... which require drysuit and heavy undergarments. But this past week-end I discovered one drawback, while diving out of a friend's small RIB that requires the removal of your rig for re-entry onto the boat. The weight and trim system sits underneath the rig, which means you have to take your rig off while wearing your weights ... not a real good idea when you're wearing 20 or more pounds in your harness. What I ended up doing was digging the weights out of the pockets and tossing them into the boat first, then removing my rig and climbing overboard with the weight harness still on my body ... and then replacing the weights once I was safely back on board. A couple extra steps, but doable. You just have to think about it and do it before taking off the rig.

As is usually the case, the system you choose will depend on the reasons why you would want to choose it, the consideration of the benefits and drawbacks of each choice, and weighing which of those matters most to you. Each will require you to adopt specific steps in your routine. There is no "best" way which will universally apply to everyone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I find your generalization that integrated weights being easier to ditch than a weightbelt, contrary to my experience. We have seen many people with problems dropping lead, their buddy's not knowing exactly how to work the other guys quick releases. etc.

In my opinion, if you have a very small amount of lead to wear, it doesn't matter much at all if it is on a belt or integrated. I personally much prefer a (rubber) belt.

If you need to carry a lot of lead (say over 18-20 lbs) then distributing some on the harness or BC or integrated (or on the tank neck, or cam belts etc.) begins to make more sense, but in this situation, I strongly prefer to include a belt as well - so the weight is distributed in various locations. I agree that needing a lot of lead and placing all on the weight belt is not the best choice for many people.

I have never worn a weight harness because I was always worried about having trouble getting it off. Even when wearing a 40 lb belt (40 years ago with a unisuit) I still didn't like the idea of a harness, but with THAT much lead it would probably make sense.

I find your generalization that integrated weights being easier to ditch than a weightbelt, contrary to my experience. We have seen many people with problems dropping lead, their buddy's not knowing exactly how to work the other guys quick releases. etc.
Yes, I agree ... but that's the reason I used the term "generally". I made an effort in my entire response above to point out that these observations won't apply to everybody, and that the only answer that does apply to everybody is "it depends".

It is important, however, to consider all the potential benefits and drawbacks before deciding what's right for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom