new member looking or help/guidance..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone
we are relatively new divers, mostly in the south (30 dives). We are a couple who have become addicted to scuba diving. We are looking for info as to how we can spend 2-3 months diving and learning, the cheaper the better. We would prefer the south pacific but we are open.
We would appreciate any and all advice.
thanx.

I've seen people post about staying in hostels and diving Utila, which I think has been mentioned as a back packer destination. How cheap are you ready to go? How low are your minimum requirements?

Very wide question with few details. You may find that you can elicit more responses from the very knowledgable people here if you provide some more information on what you have found so far to consider, including your budget for diving abroad for 2-3 months. "The cheaper the better" comes across as somewhat incongruous.

Perhaps the Local Dive Shop there will allow you to store all your gear there for security. I have had stuff go missing in hostels.

Well it seems I wrote before I thought..lol
when it comes to travelling we are an experienced couple. we have been diving in Costa Rica, Cozumel, Cuba, St Maarten and Canada.
we are looking to take a few months off. we are contemplating an internship or volunteering for a NGO is some part of the world.
We are an older couple. 50 and 46...so I don't think we are aiming to become diving instructors at this point in our lives...although we will not rule it out.
Ideally we would like to help out at Dive shop to 'earn our keep' in dives...

Well it seems I wrote before I thought.

Not sure the latter has yet been performed. Internships require training. Earning your keep requires work permits. Volunteering won't pay for anything, insurance included. And still no budget. At your age, the whole thing sounds fishy, unless you're PhD's or got 30 grand to drop.

Perhaps Australia/Indonesia for a month on your own dime might realistically fill your need.

Why not email some of the dive shops that you used while traveling in the past? Dive shops we have hired, have told my daughter she could intern when she turned 18, but she would have to pay her own room and board, and earn only tips, which is not going to happen in her case.

Not sure the latter has yet been performed

its a work in progress my friend,
we are trying to establish a budget...
of course internships require training...we are new relatively new divers but we are working our way up the (padi) foodchain.
lol...I am fully versed in work permits...(if you only knew...)

nothing fishy about wanting to get away and follow a passion. we are laying the foundations now. searching what and where we can go.
although the GBR may be a stopover it would surely exhaust a budget quicker than say Thailand or Indonesia..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom