Need some help choosing the right island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like you're boat diving the BI, so your plan to stay in Kailua Town w/o a car should work fine. There's plenty within walking distance to keep you amused, and I'm pretty sure there's a bus that runs along the 6 mile shore road if you want to get farther down from town to the 'beaches' and shore dive spots along there.

My trip is over, so I thought I'd give some feedback.

On Big Island I was with Big Island Divers. Big company, well organised, nice people. The boats are full, but one time I remember we were 8 non-beginners and had 2 dive masters, i.e. two groups of 4. They send those up that run out of air early, but continue to dive with those that are better on air. They tell you a lot about their discounts, but it happened twice to me that they weren't applied. So when it comes to payment make sure to double check the invoice.

On Oahu I was with Kaimana Divers. Small company with less "bureaucracy", which also means that they swipe your credit card on a smartphone just after the dive and you don't get an invoice for your expense report :) In terms of discount it was the opposite experience - they applied it without me even knowing they had such a thing.

The diving itself was pretty good. The reefs on Big Island were not as good as I expected and those on Oahu better than expected. I did the Sea Tiger wreck on Oahu twice, which was ok (nice wreck, good visibility). On Big Island I did the Manta and Blackwater dive, which are definitely a great experience. So if you're up for those, you must go to Big Island, but if you're just looking for reef diving, you're fine on Oahu only as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom