How many of you visually inspect your own tank interior?

Do you visually inspect your own tank(s)?

• Yes, officially

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Yes, unofficially

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • No, the LDS Does it

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • No, they fill it regardless

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have far too many tanks to pay for visual inspections. I made up my own stickers a few years ago and use them. I do a proper and complete inspection and then out my own sticker on the tank. I have never had one questioned. If I do have tank with something odd going on then I will get an opinion, or scrap it. Which reminds me, I am going to have to make some more.

I frankly get aggravated given my patronage of local shops if they charge me for a VIP. I think a good business practice would be to have a VIP DAY several times a year where tanks are done for free to create customer good will and foot traffic in the store. (VIP free, air fill would be charged of course, or not)

N

The other thing that has to be asked in regards to thinking dive shops are the final authority on tank VIP's, what training does the employee doing the VIP have? Does the dive shop send each and every new minimum wage employee to official VIP school?
Or do they just get a quick 5 minute run down of what to do and then they're on their own?
What makes anybody think that a dive shop can do any better than an individual tank owner. I think by nature tank owner/DIY'ers will be more thorough than a dive shop.

I think self sufficiency is a great thing.

The other thing that has to be asked in regards to thinking dive shops are the final authority on tank VIP's, what training does the employee doing the VIP have? Does the dive shop send each and every new minimum wage employee to official VIP school?
Or do they just get a quick 5 minute run down of what to do and then they're on their own?
What makes anybody think that a dive shop can do any better than an individual tank owner. I think by nature tank owner/DIY'ers will be more thorough than a dive shop.

I think self sufficiency is a great thing.

ALL of my technicians (5 of them) that were responsible for doing VCI's were PSI certified, no exceptions. The guys who were fillings the tanks were trained also.

After waiting 3 months for the local dive shop to VIP one of my deco cylinders, I vowed never to pay for a VIP again. Went to the PSI course, bought tools, never looked back.

Honestly... I'm pretty lazy about inspecting my personal cylinders. I have 14 of them in the garage and my own fill station. Gas tests for OCA at -70F dew point every time... I'm not worried about cylinder contamination or corrosion. I inspect when I pull valves, which is either when they need service or when it's convenient. Probably average every other year or so.

Have a friendly dive shop that takes care of hydros in house. They're great to work with.

Last edited:
I do a official VIP annually at a minimum. If I choose not to use my own compressor and take them to a LDS they have no issues with my PSI decal or the fact I VIPed my own. Probably due to the fact though that they know:
1. I am a VIP instructor for two (soon three) dive agencies
2. I have run two hydro shops
3. I trained their instructors.

I do a official VIP annually at a minimum. If I choose not to use my own compressor and take them to a LDS they have no issues with my PSI decal or the fact I VIPed my own. Probably due to the fact though that they know:
1. I am a VIP instructor for two (soon three) dive agencies
2. I have run two hydro shops
3. I trained their instructors.

We don't have any hydro facilities in Libya where I am now and I'd like to start one. Where should I start and how do I get official training and certification, if available, please?

We don't have any hydro facilities in Libya where I am now and I'd like to start one. Where should I start and how do I get official training and certification, if available, please?
Can you even get test equipment in Libya? Are you trying to get approval to test CE tanks or USDOT tanks?

In the US you would start with a formal training course like this one
#393-400: HAZMAT TRAINING SEMINAR

Then once your facility was constructed and capable of actually testing cylinders you would need to be inspected by one of these contracted inspectors (select outside of USA near the top of page)
PHMSA - Library - Procedures for Application for Approval to Requalify DOT Cylinders

Towards the bottom of this page are the requirements for foreign retesters to requalify USDOT cylinders.

We have to import everything. There are no standards here in Libya, we can follow the European or US. There are no requirements for hydro testing either here. I want to do it because it is the right thing to do here. Libya is in the stone age as far as diving is concerned and I am doing my best to bring current technology and standards to Libya as much as I can afford.

Back
Top Bottom