Suggestions for shops in Bonaire and Aruba (Royal Caribbean)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixiestyx

Registered
Reaction score
I am headed on a Southern Caribbean Itinerary next month and am looking for suggestions of shops in Aruba and Bonaire.

I've always had poor luck with dives booked through the cruise line. Any help would be appreciated.

Bonaire: Contact the Habitat or Buddy Dive to see if they will allow you to shore dive from their dock. Sand Dollar, slightly closer to the cruise pier, also has a dock, and I believe one of their dive ops is still Dive Friends Bonaire, which was the dive op that had the contract for cruise ship diving. I have used Dive Friends Bonaire on two cruise stops, and was very happy with the boat dives. That being said, the house reefs in front of Buddy Dive, the Habitat, and Sand Dollar are very nice, and shore diving from their docks does not get much easier.
Can't help you for Aruba because the only time I was there, we got weathered out, but would have used Red Sail.

Just one point of clarity ^ - the Sand Dollar "dock" is actually the property of Bonaire DIve & Adventure at Den Laman Condos and they've lately become pretty aggressive about discouraging it's use by Sand Dollar owners/guests. To the point that there's now a gate on that side. To compensate Dive Friends/Sand Dollar constructed a tank house plus steps down to the beach for access to Bari Reef - one of the best shore dives. If I was going out on my own on a day stop, it would be high on my list. If you like diving the reef with the highest fishcount in the Caribbean..

We paid $5 once to dive at Habitat - use of the lockers/showers etc. was included. Bring a lock. From their dive dock you can dive the La Machaca wreck or swim north to the Cliff dive site. We did that then drifted back over the wreck - it's small and not worth a special dive.

None of the suggestions here or in the post above are walking distance though except Dive Friends at their Yellow Sub location in town. They also keep part of their fleet there so boat dives could be a possibility depending on your arrival/time in port. There's not a lot of taxis on Bonaire either unless that increased with the cruise traffic.

Another I know nothing about is VIP Diving's cruise program.

Bonaire diving is mostly clustered in a few mile radius of Town Pier so there's no worries about missing your sailing if it's later in the afternoon. Even Klein Bonaire - look off the left side of your ship in port, it's the flat island you see. Some of the beach cruise excursions go there but there's no facilities for divers.

Oddly the Divi Flamingo - the dive resort within walking distance of Town Pier - actively discourages cruise ship walk-ins. Probably because it stresses their facility availability for their guests, lockers, boats etc. are limited there vs. Habitat or Buddy who have a lot of both.

I'd use Dive Friends Bonaire. Even if you can't get a boat dive in with them the Yellow Submarine site across the street from their downtown shop is pretty good. You could easily do 2 or more shore dives there. Very easy entry and tanks just across the street.

On cruise days, you probably will not have a lot of difficulty finding a cab to take you to any of the places mentioned above, especially if you get off the ship quickly. Any of the dive ops can call a cab for you for the trip back to the cruise dock. If diving from Buddy Dive or the Habitat, you might also be lucky enough to snag a ride back to the cruise port from divers heading to the southern dive spots. Regardless of who you dive with, you will be able to do a couple of excellent dives, so enjoy. The last time I dove with Dive Friends Bonaire on a cruise ship excursion, they took us to Bari Reef and Cliff, both of which are excellent, but can be easily reached from shore, but not diving from the same dive op's pier or stairs, so I would not hesitate to use them again on a ship's excursion.

I'm not sure what you budget is, and if you'll be renting equipment, but my wife and I have used VIP Diving on our last cruise. If you can live with their prices you'll be happy with their service. They pick you up at the pier, bring you to their shop to fill out paperwork, and get your gear. The shop is by far the nicest one I've ever been to, and their gear is nice and newer as well. Your guide will take your requests into account and pick two dives with you. Between the dives you'll have lunch that they provide and take a quick tour of a section of the island. We were diving the south end of the island, so we saw the slave huts, salt marsh, and ate lunch at Lac Bay.

Just some other general info:
-They offer lockers in their shop for your items. I felt completely safe leaving my wallet (with some cash in it), cell phone, and passport in the lockers.
-I don't think they have more then 3 (maybe 4 on a rare occasion) divers per guide. On our trip there were 3 paying customers. The man who joined my wife and I had issues with shore diving, so he ended up sitting out both dives... we pretty much had a private guide to lead us underwater.
-They're firm on the price... I didn't need equipment, but my wife did. We both paid the full fee, even after I asked in advance about that.
-They offer 63, 80, and 100 cu/ft tanks. Both with Nitrox and Air, in both yoke and DIN. All at no extra charge.
-Nice rinse tanks to use after your dives.

All and all we were very happy. Next time we're on a cruise that goes to Bonaire we'll definitely use them. As a matter of fact I would reach out to them and see if they would offer us a 3 dive package with a private guide for the day... I wonder what they'd charge for that??????

Haven't been to Bonaire in close to 10 years and it was to stay at Buddy dive for a week. It was very enjoyable and dives were great.
I have one friend who has been going to Capt. Don's for about 30 years (and is going back again in Aug).

Another friend recently did Bonaire on a cruise ( forget which line), but they booked thru the ship who used Buddy. They complained the Divemasters (who had significantly less experience then themselves) were overbearing and (not sure what phrase to use) but not worth a single cent in tip. Also the boat was true cattle boat w/ about 30 divers and 3 dive guides (divemasters?)

Also, if an operator has contract with the Cruise line, they will not accept you as a "private" customer.

Back
Top Bottom