Best place to live in USA if you are a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, FL.

Near to blue heron bridge (free, excellent shore diving), all the southeast coastal diving from Jupiter to the upper keys would be an easy day trip.

You've got great shore diving, also great boat diving all in reasonable distances (if you own a vehicle).

Actually, I've been trying to talk my wife into moving that way (from Tampa Bay area) for a few months now :wink:.

Miami has the added benefit of having Gigabit internet available to homes. For an engineer such as myself that's no small thing. Purely from a diving perspective, I'd do Lauderdale or something else closer to BHB.

Reactions: mdb
Kelp Forests and the only two Recompression Chambers in the US on 24/7 365 Stand-by solely for Diving Accident Casualties are in California:
Pacific Grove (Monterey);
Catalina Island

Diving in a kelp forest is such a tranquil experience that it calms the soul.

Waving kelp and abundant sea life and you are relaxed and observant.

Fall diving with summer plankton gone makes for very good local dives.

I know Florida, North Carolina, New England, The Pacific North West-all great.

For day to day living as well as access to great diving; San Diego still gets my vote.

Diving in a kelp forest is such a tranquil experience that it calms the soul.

Waving kelp and abundant sea life and you are relaxed and observant.

Fall diving with summer plankton gone makes for very good local dives.

I know Florida, North Carolina, New England, The Pacific North West-all great.

For day to day living as well as access to great diving; San Diego still gets my vote.
Los Angeles/San Diego County, the Birthplace of Recreational Scuba: where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn back around to swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !

Los Angeles/San Diego County, the Birthplace of Recreational Scuba: where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn back around to swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !

Nice post. In the SF Bay area we called it Ski to Sea.

A Saturday Sierra ski trip and a Sunday dive all in the same weekend.

Maui...hands down.

You've got warm water all year, lots of large pelagics, Manta Rays, thousands of reef sharks, tiger sharks, dolphins, one of the largest endemic populations of small invertebrates in the world. In the winter months humpbacks migrate thru there. Massive fields of coral and all that brings. One dive off Lanai, the DM estimated there were 5000+ Moorish Idols, an equal number of tangs/butterflies and I personally counted 12 different white or blacktip sharks patrolling the edges of the school. That's normal there - there's a site we didn't get to that's described as even fishier.

There's shore diving along the entire west Maui coast - even a couple places on the east side. Molokini crater is 15mins. by boat from South Maui - it has both the easier crater diving and the more advanced 300' vertical backwall. All of this reachable by owned private boats ranging from large zodiacs to 40-50 power cruisers - nothing more is needed. The south Maui (Kihei) shops all launch theirs from the Kihei boat ramp so although big, still trailerable.

There's also diving around most of the island of Lanai - about 20-30mins off West Maui. The Cathedrals are a complex of lava tubes in that area that are fully rec. diveable.

Plus bluewater Hammerhead diving off Molokai - about an hour ride out. There's even a few small WWII wrecks off south Maui, a bomber and a landing craft. Plus the deliberately sunk Carpathian and a couple more I can't recall. You can dive with Tigers off Olawalu regularly, or do much easier and shallower diving along much of West Maui, either by boat or from shore. Nice thing is a lot of the sites are also very nice beaches so entries are easy and non-divers have things to do also.

So in effect within an hour of Maui, you can dive 3 other islands that are all very different in nature. I haven't been to Molokai but a lot of Lanai diving is extremely vertical - as is the island itself. Yet off Maui the shore diving is typically shallow for a very long way out, to get to deeper reefs we use scooters.

We rent an excessively overpriced condo in the Wailea area. One draw for us is walk thru the parkway in the middle a few hundred yards and strap on the gear and dive the north end of Wailea Beach, a named dive site. With 5 others within a mile drive. It's very good diving, puffers, triggers, endemic reef fish, one trigger only lives in Wailea bay and one other area. Lots of coral also - off Lanai in a few places it limits access to the beach since it's so thick and shallow - at low tide you can see it. Many of the dive shops offer fill cards for shore diving, most also off Kaimana (sp) rates when you live there.

On top of that Oahu, Kauai or the Big Island are an hour flight away.

Oahu has some WWII wrecks legally diveable plus some shore dives. As well as excellent boat diving - I understand there's one dive you can do near the fish farms with an extraordinary number of sharks around - it was on CBS news once.

Kauai has less in shore dive options but Ni'ihau Island - an all day trip - has arguably two of the more spectacular Hawaii dives, Vertical Awareness and Keyhole. Plus at least two dozen boat dives done via local boats. In summer months Tunnels Beach is a series of rec-level explorable lava tubes. Sheraton Caverns is acres of the same - mostly collapsed. Huge green sea turtles live there.

On Kona you've got the world famous Kona Manta Dive. It's 12th on one of the better best of lists. Also in south Kona your "buddy" is occasionally 100 spinner dolphins. The Kona Aggressor also works the area farther south than the dayboats roam due to timing/fuel issues - none of them are big boats.

I've only been diving two places in my life where I've seen regular people get off work and drive to the beach to go dive b4 dinner. Maui and LaJolla (San Diego). I don't think that's as possible on the other Hawaiian islands either - except maybe Kona since a lot of people live on the south Kona coast intermixed with a few shore dive locations.

Obviously it's possible in SoFL also, one of our ex-staff members dove from her condo's "sideyard" near Ft. Lauderdale. SoFl airports - both MIA and FLL - have a large amount of flights to excellent dive locations like the Bahamas out islands, ABC's, Bay Islands etc.

Most of the time when we route to a Caribbean destination it's thru one or the other. Plus there's some regional hub connections into the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. PR is a hub for many of the Southeastern Antilles - once there we heard flights called for 1/2 dozen known dive destinations - places like St. Kitts or Dominica etc. - our flight was thru MIA first.

Last edited:
And backpacking in the Sierras...

Reactions: mdb
I Lived on Wind N' Sea Beach in La Jolla. a small North South Reef less than 100 meters offshore-near alligator point.

There were few divers exploring the reef. Teeming with Lobster and Abalone. Great after work diving.

I kept a steel 50 on a backpack wing in my garage. Get off work and in the water before sunset.

A nice salad and cold bottle of wine with the fresh catch of the day.

I Lived on Wind N' Sea Beach in La Jolla. a small North South Reef less than 100 meters offshore-near alligator point.

There were few divers exploring the reef. Teeming with Lobster and Abalone. Great after work diving.

I kept a steel 50 on a backpack wing in my garage. Get off work and in the water before sunset.

A nice salad and cold bottle of wine with the fresh catch of the day.

I was an undergraduate at UCSD 1972-6. I was able to get in a couple hundred dives as part of my college education, priceless. There was parking at the Cove and at the Shore, no problems then.

I was an undergraduate at UCSD 1972-6. I was able to get in a couple hundred dives as part of my college education, priceless. There was parking at the Cove and at the Shore, no problems then.

An early Sunday morning dive @ La Jolla cove was a weekend ritual.

Walk down the steps and into the kelp. After the dive step into the shower room with wet suit on.

Great college education on your part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom