Which area in mexico is best to learn to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davetulloch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, at the end of november i am flying to mexico to do a padi open water course on the carribean coast. I will complete the e-learning course at home, and do all the dives ( including the confined water) in mexico.
Where do members think is the best area to learn? I have read that Cozumel is world renowned for diving, but most articles talk about drift diving. I'm guessing those locations are off limits for complete beginners - are there other locations on Cozumel that offer beginner friendly conditions combined with spectacular reefs? Or am i better off basing myself in a different location? Isla mujares? Playa de Carmen? Akumel? Tulum?
Also, do the confined water dives always take place in a swimming pool, or can they also take place in 'confined-like' conditions ie an area of sea that is particularly sheltered and current-less?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

There are some really nice shallow reefs near Playa, Jardine's in particular, or you could stay at one of the all-inclusive resorts down in Puertos Aventuras. Will you be by yourself, or with a non-diver who will be looking for other things to do?

I would highly recommend Dive Aventuras if you are looking for an excellent teaching dive operation. The reefs around Puerto Aventuras are very alive, and the water conditions are very comfortable, especially if you are a new diver.

Will you be by yourself, or with a non-diver who will be looking for other things to do?

My partner and i are both going to learn to dive on this trip :)

We will only be out there for a week so i don't think we will have much time to explore.

I would definitely suggest Cozumel. There are lots of shallow, gentle dive sites and several excellent teachers. Granted, there are more advanced sites that are particularly famous and spectacular, but Cozumel is still, rightly so, a very popular location for new divers.

Since you're planning to do the e-learning - IIRC you should book it thru the shop you plan to use also - this allows them access to your records and credit for your course with PADI.

As an example, notice on the Dive Aventuras website - they have a generic PADI link to the e-learning and at the bottom is their shop info - #737 in the link is their shop ID: Welcome to PADI eLearning

I'm not PADI so that's all I know about it so check with whoever you choose before you sign up.

You might want to consider dong the eLearning and the confined water training in your home area, then getting a referral to take to Mexico for your open water dives. That will provide two benefits. First, it will free up vacation time for real diving rather than pool training. Second, it will establish a relationship with a local dive operation with whom you can continue your diving experiences when you return.

Many people do their first diving in Cozumel, and it can be excellent for that. I have certified some new divers there myself. It definitely offers more challenging sites than the mainland, though, and you might like it better over there.

I have also certified new divers in Akumal, and it was a very good location for new diver training. It featured short boat rides and easy diving sites. I have no complaints.

An earlier poster suggested Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras. I dived with them a dozen years ago, and they were excellent then. They have since changed ownership, but I have been told they were still very good. A friend who organizes dive trips uses them for his groups when he goes there, and he is the kind of person who will make good choices.

Both Puerto Aventuras and Akumal have what is in my mind the advantage of not being the kind of location sought after by the swinging crowds looking for hot night life, tequila shots, etc. Akumal is especially a low key, have a beer and go to bed sort of place.

Dive Aventuras' ownership change was seamless. We've been diving with them for a dozen years (which covers the "change"), and the same folks, including front desk, dive professionals, dive guides, and support staff, are still intact. It is still a full service dive shop, with an in-house equipment repair technician (Armando) who is knowledgeable about any brand of gear.

We've dived all over the Caribbean (including Cozumel for decades) and have never found a dive operation better prepared to support diving at all levels than Dive Aventuras.

My girlfriend recently had an excellent "Discover Scuba" experience with Scuba Playa in Playa del Carmen. The local reefs had a lot of life, the water was warm and clear with very little current, the maximum depth was about 40', and the folks at Scuba Playa were great. Having said that, it doesn't really compare to Cozumel but it sounds like Playa might be a good match for what you have in mind. Scuba Playa uses a 10' deep pool for their training, if that answers your question. OTOH Scuba Club Cozumel uses a very small, confined space in the ocean for the mask and regulator clearing exercises--a bit too confined and busy for some.

I picked Scuba Playa based upon reviews that I'd read but there seems to be many Five Star dive ops in Playa. I thought they went above and beyond (and of course, below :wink: ) and would definitely go there again.

Welcome to our PADI 5* IDC Center in Playa del Carmen, Mexico - Scuba Playa

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom