New and looking for what to do and where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks thanks for helping out another newbie. I'm from VA in the good ole USA and looking for advice for a first dive trip with my girlfriend. I'm thinking I like a lot of what I've been reading about Bonaire and Cayman (middle size island), but I'm mainly seeking advice in a manner of where would the best place, for the best price to get her certified on our trip or just the best price on a trip for us two. Not really looking for anything fancy but just a nice down home touch, decent beach is a big plus, and something relaxing when not making bubbles. I'm certified but I can dive with her on her cert dives . So any advice is much appreciated and welcomed! Thank you (ps also trying to get her certified before the trip if we have time, not sure how exactly the dive seasons run in the carribeans and elsewhere)

I'm kinda new to the sport myself but was an avid snorkeler before making the switch over to scuba. One thing I will mention for you to keep in mind tho is that if you start at the absolute best dive location in the world(hypothetically speaking), every location after will be a step down and maybe not as thrilling. I've been to the caymans and I can honestly say I wish I would have saved it for later. If I knew then what I know now I would start in Jamaica lol. Even dead coral is a sight to see for a newbie from the Midwest lol

Don't forget Cozumel, it will be much cheaper than the Caymans. I'd suggest getting certified before leaving...some people just do not like Scuba. We have dove year round in Cozumel and never had a problem. There are times that the ports may be closed to storms...but I would imagine you would find that anywhere. There is a specific Cozumel forum on this site that will provide you with more information than you could read in a week about where to stay, who to dive with, etc.

We have been to Jamaica, Cancun, Playa Del Carma, Puerto Vallarta, The Caymans, and Cozumel. We now go to Coz at least twice a year for several reasons...its cheap, the diving is incredible, the people are friendly, and we have developed relationships on the island that make it like a second home.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

If you check the thread on my Cayman Aggressor IV trip, while a live-aboard may not be your thing yet, scroll down & you'll see where I posted my research notes on the Cayman Islands, including mention of some popular dive op.s. If you like all inclusive, perhaps Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman? At least you'd have a pretty good idea what the bill would be going in.

I love Bonaire; not a lot of beach options there. Eden Beach Resort is an exception. Here's my badly dated trip report from 2009 when it was under prior management, and before some changes to the grounds. Has some photos; might show you some idea of what a trip would be like. There's a lot to be said for making your 1st Bonaire trip with a group who knows the place.

I wondered about Ambergris Caye, Belize, which I've not been to but know to be popular, but I believe that region just got hit by a hurricane recently. When do you plan to travel? Belize has multiple locations with varied pro.s & con.s; depending on where you stay, there are topside diversions. Unfortunately, some of the best diving (e.g.: Lighthouse Atoll region) and best topside attractions (e.g.: Mayan Ruins, rainforest walks) are far apart!

Richard.

Thank you guys for your time! I dove and got my cert in Jamaica last year so looks like Cozumel will be the best bang for our buck from what I've collected so far. Since we should have plenty of time on the season (unless it's hurricane season there) I'll get her certified before we go. Jay I'll be sure to check that Cozumel forum out!! Thanks again guys!

Chuck

I did one week long dive trip so far, in 2011. With Panama Divers (Caribbean) near Portobelo. They let you collect shells. But they didn't tell me there would be a shore dive charge (for the DM they assigned me), though I was ready to go solo. Only draw back. Always use internet, if not phone calls to see exactly what you'll get. The charters were great there.

Don't forget Cozumel, it will be much cheaper than the Caymans. I'd suggest getting certified before leaving...some people just do not like Scuba. We have dove year round in Cozumel and never had a problem. There are times that the ports may be closed to storms...but I would imagine you would find that anywhere. There is a specific Cozumel forum on this site that will provide you with more information than you could read in a week about where to stay, who to dive with, etc.

We have been to Jamaica, Cancun, Playa Del Carma, Puerto Vallarta, The Caymans, and Cozumel. We now go to Coz at least twice a year for several reasons...its cheap, the diving is incredible, the people are friendly, and we have developed relationships on the island that make it like a second home.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Hi Jay
I thought I'd use this same thread to ask you a quick question regarding Puerto Vallarta diving. Never dove in West coast of Mexico before. My first trip there. Staying at all inclusive resort which doesn't have any dive shop attached. So any dive operators that are reputable??
Thanks
Art

not favoring the place at all because i live here :) but Malta is a great place to holiday and dive :) and get certified so worth a look :)

hought I'd use this same thread to ask you a quick question regarding Puerto Vallarta diving. Never dove in West coast of Mexico before. My first trip there. Staying at all inclusive resort which doesn't have any dive shop attached. So any dive operators that are reputable??
Thanks

My sister loves the West Coast of Mexico, me...not so much. I was in PV in the mid 90's and we just snorkeled, para sailed, jungle tour on horseback, rented jet skis, and went deep sea fishing. I remember being cold, but did not have a wetsuit on either. We stayed at a resort and did not get out in the town much except for a club one night. I had far different expectations of a vacation then that were more centered around the night life than diving, interacting with locals, and the culture of the area. For a guy in his mid 20's, it was great....in fact, from what I remember the club night was legenary and I'm sure they still talk about it...lol. For a father of Early 20's kids and teenagers, I definately prefer Cozumel......where I will be in 7 days! Just a slower, more laid back, family oriented feel.

Sorry I can't help you with a dive op, good luck though.

Jay

Hi Jay
I thought I'd use this same thread to ask you a quick question regarding Puerto Vallarta diving. Never dove in West coast of Mexico before. My first trip there. Staying at all inclusive resort which doesn't have any dive shop attached. So any dive operators that are reputable??
Thanks
Art

I dove with Vallarta Adventures in early March 2014. The dive was an option on a tour to Las Caletas which allowed my wife and friends to be on the beach while I did the dive (I joined them after the dive.) It was really a shore dive as we dove from the boat dock. Still went to a depth of 105 ft. and saw some neat stuff. Had not seen balloonfish before (small pufferfish with soft spines.) The visibility was about 15-20 ft. and we stayed down for 54 minutes.

Only did one dive for the following reasons:
- The water was 70 degrees F. I used the 5mm suit and fins of the company. Used my own bc and reg. and didn't lug my
own 3mm on this trip since I knew water would be colder than what I normally dive.
- Limited dIve sites were not a short boat ride but closer to 40-60 minutes away from Nuevo Vallarta. From Puerto
Vallarta, sites are still 20 -60 minutes away.
- Although there was a PADI "dive guy" at our resort, he was geared more toward trying to get people sign up for
lessons and the days they did dive, they only did one dive. Found that several dive ops in Puerto Vallarta tied them
into a tour like I did with Vallarta Adventures.

In a nutshell, I didn't want to spend time in a taxi, going to do one dive that would be shorter than the boat ride to get to the site, in 70 degree water with possibly not the best visibility. Had I had a dive buddy with me on this trip, I may have reconsidered.

Although I can't recommend a dive op (hope someone else can do that for you), try to find one that at least does a two tank dive trip to make it worth the boat ride. If you like the beaches and sightseeing, then definitely do the tour type of trip that you can tie a dive into.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom