Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern is the flood issue and since it is discontinued? Loss of function and warranty support.
One day someone is going to make a VHF radio/PLB combo that is waterproof to 300 feet for ~$200 with a mail in rebate. Hopefully I'll still be young enough to be diving when it comes out.
Lol. Yep. That's what I am looking for.
Also, if anyone is looking for just a radio, you could just buy a marine handheld radio and put it in a canister. This one looks like the antenna unscrews.

I didn't search much or price shop, but here's an example.

COBRA ELECTRONICS HH350 Handheld Floating 6-Watt VHF Radio | West Marine
Bookmarked. Thanks.

West Marine is usually about 10-20% higher than other retailers. A Google search reveals other options in the $60 range as well. The key would be either a bendable or removable antenna. Of course if it's removable I would take extra precautions to insure you don't flood the unit when deploying.
I like the fact that it is at least water resistant. Size isn't as much an issue for me since betueen the pony tank and hunting gear I pretty much already look like a Christmas tree when I dive Florida.

West Marine is usually about 10-20% higher than other retailers. A Google search reveals other options in the $60 range as well. The key would be either a bendable or removable antenna. Of course if it's removable I would take extra precautions to insure you don't flood the unit when deploying.

The waterproof case would be more expensive than the radio. :)

Also, if anyone is looking for just a radio, you could just buy a marine handheld radio and put it in a canister. This one looks like the antenna unscrews.

I didn't search much or price shop, but here's an example.

COBRA ELECTRONICS HH350 Handheld Floating 6-Watt VHF Radio | West Marine
Yes. Get a big canister if you want a DSC/GPS radio. (Big as in a 3.5 inch diameter and 8+ inch one.) The floating radios are big (so they float) and the ones that support DSC are mostly not the smallest ones of those. The antenna also has a gasket that seals the radio when you tighter the the antenna down, so you have to be careful while pulling it out of the canister and assembling it to avoid flooding the radio. Or losing the antenna.

I assume then that the dimensions given on the Cobra does not include the antenna. A bendable antenna would be ideal. I am at Myrtle Beach today. Would a boat dealer/marine store have anything like this on display?

Ok I took another look at the canister listed by Dandy Don and they even mentioned the dual function of PLB/marine radio and show one in their canister. So looks like I have my solution until they come up with the cheap dual function and reliable option. The PLB and canister linked by DandyDon. And the Cobra or similar linked by James. Thanks guys.

@DandyDon any idea if I will need the smaller or larger canister?

@CuzzA I just saw you use a different canister. Do yo think it is large enough for a radio?

Its also possible that a simple plastic pocket that @Dan_T linked would be plenty adequate for the radio since it does have some degree of water resistance.

FWIW I also sent a message to the ebay canister listing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom