Computers with non-conservative algorithm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - We can agree to disagree... I read it as base and adding one level of conservatism - I see it as one...
And to be honest looking back - this line seems silly on my part to keep harping on it... So I will acquiesce and allow the readers to determine themselves... :) One or more conservative factors....

Perhaps by non-conservative algorithm, they mean the most likely to get you bent? Maybe try the old SOS Decometer?

Given the single posting of a single question that riles people up by a new user that never returned, one might suspect a troll.

Different question, is the VEO3 screen bigger than the GEO2?

I have not dove the GEO but yes it looks like the VEO (puck like) has a larger screen than the GEO (dive watch like). I think it is personal preference but I like the larger screen of the VEO.

I have not dove the GEO but yes it looks like the VEO (puck like) has a larger screen than the GEO (dive watch like). I think it is personal preference but I like the larger screen of the VEO.

That's why I am asking, I prefer bigger screen myself. They appear to be equal in features as far as I can discern.

Hello, I am looking for a new computer with a non conservative algorithm. Recommendations?

Cochran EMC20 with no personal factor/conservancy set.....

(I actually use one as a "lost deco, get me the heck home alive somehow" back-up to my Petrel)

Last edited:
Don't overlook the Perdix/Petrel if you want liberal settings.

Scubadada and I dove together on the Spree 4 All Wreck trip. Our profiles we pretty aggressive - 4 dives a day on nitrox to as deep at 120', sometimes incurring a few minutes of deco obligation. When I was set at medium conservativeness on my Petrel I'd run out of NDL earlier than his computer running DSAT, something like 5-8 minutes . Once I changed it to low conservativeness our NDL's were within a minute or two, IIRC.

Run either algorithm - yes. However a Shearwater and other "high tech / high priced" computers allow you to alter the conservatism - not all Oceanic allow this - in fact I believe very few do - you are only allowed to go up 1 in the conservative factor. You implied the factor could be adjusted - it can not - it is on or off. You chose the algorithm and are allowed to turn on or off conservatism by a factor of one (as if you were diving at the next higher altitude).

Just wanted to get the facts out for anyone that is reading this thread that may not know how this all works - do your due diligence before you buy your computer...
:)

The Oceanic dual algorithm computers end up having 4 levels of conservatism. From most liberal to most conservative: DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservative factor, PZ+ with conservative factor. This covers a pretty wide spectrum, from the 2nd most liberal algorithm for recreational diving, to a very, very conservative one. I don't see any real disagreement in the above posts, just different vocabulary and interpretation

Don't overlook the Perdix/Petrel if you want liberal settings.

Scubadada and I dove together on the Spree 4 All Wreck trip. Our profiles we pretty aggressive - 4 dives a day on nitrox to as deep at 120', sometimes incurring a few minutes of deco obligation. When I was set at medium conservativeness on my Petrel I'd run out of NDL earlier than his computer running DSAT, something like 5-8 minutes . Once I changed it to low conservativeness our NDL's were within a minute or two, IIRC.

@C Dub :What would you set the conservatism to in order to stay that close to DSAT?

I was diving in OC Rec Mode, and changed to the built-in least conservative setting. IIRC it is called "low". Someone correct me if that's not correct, it's been a while since I used it in rec mode.

Back
Top Bottom