Logging a 2-tank dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do y'all log a 2-tank dive as one dive or two dives?

It depends. If I enter the water with two tanks, and stay down for a long time, I log one dive.

If I enter the water with one tank, then exit the water just to change to another tank, then reenter the water, I log two dives, generally with differing maximum depth, minimum temperature, etc. Typically there's a long enough surface interval that my dive computer treats them as two dives also.

In some ways total bottom time is a better proxy for diver experience and particularly buoyancy control. Then again the number of dives captures the experience with gear setup, water entry and exit, ascent, and descent. Neither is perfect.

It depends. If I enter the water with two tanks, and stay down for a long time, I log one dive.

If I enter the water with one tank, then exit the water just to change to another tank, then reenter the water, I log two dives, generally with differing maximum depth, minimum temperature, etc. Typically there's a long enough surface interval that my dive computer treats them as two dives also.

In some ways total bottom time is a better proxy for diver experience and particularly buoyancy control. Then again the number of dives captures the experience with gear setup, water entry and exit, ascent, and descent. Neither is perfect.
Personally I would log the above (dive one tank, return to surface and dive the second) as two dives. I would also make sure of a decent surface interval between them if for no other reason that 2 relatively long dives (@40-50mins) would be pretty tiring without some rest and refreshment.

To my mind there is no perfect method of capturing all the relevant details with regards to experience etc. Number of dives is a very poor way to log experience IMHO. Is a diver with 100 logged dives in a quarry a better diver than me (for example) with 40 dives including sea dives with a variety of shore entries, boat entries (rib and large boat), drift dives, a few wrecks etc? (The answer is probably yes but that is a different matter)

You would need a system of logging time, depth, bottom contour (a seesaw profile might be because of bottom profile and not poor buoyancy) , entry type, current, penetration (wrecks/caves/cavern/swimthrough) and even then it doesn't show what the diver looked like in the water trim wise.

Thank you. Makes perfect sense to me.

Do y'all log a 2-tank dive as one dive or two dives?

If you mean make a dive, then surface, switch tanks and dive again then it's 2 dives.

As for your logbook, log whatever seems important to you. I know instructors who put pool dives in their log book because they want to be able to look back and see how many times they've been in the pool with students..... I know other people (I am one of them) who haven't logged dives for many years.

What I do think is important is to log the first 200 or so open water dives you do. At that point you will have a record of experience that opens the doors to any diving course you may want to do in the future. After that what matters is strictly personal.

Caveat to the above is that some dive ops will want to see proof of recent experience. Most of the time I show ops my PADI instructor card and my Trimix card and assure them that I dive every week and no more questions are asked, however; I actually needed to do a "scuba review" in Mexico once because the dive op did not take my word for it. The log book was the only proof they would take. From their point of view I can understand it. They didn't want any surprises....

So I was a good sport about it and went for a dive with the DM. He asked me to remove my mask, which I did and then asked the DM to repeat after me and remove his ..... LOL.... and he rolled his eyes and nodded like "OK, OK". We had a really nice dive together and had a nice time. He was totally cool. If your ego can take that then it's no problem and if you don't keep a log book then keep in mind that this is always an option. In Egypt something similar happened to me when I was required to go on a check out dive at a dive camp even though I had informed them of my certifications and experience. In that case the policy at the time was to see *everyone* at least once under water before letting them do their own thing. In subsequent trips to the same camp they remembered me from previous times and just waved me through. If I had kept a log book I might have been able to avoid those two dives, which are the only 2 in 30 years that I can remember.

R..

My usual shallow shore dives means two dives on one tank. Still log it as two dives. As long as I have a surface interval with my unit removed. But of course, you can log anything any way you choose.

Welcome Karen --(My #2 daughter is named Karene --she has been diving over 45 years)

1) Logging dives has been around for a while -- The first US log book was designed in 1955 (61 years ago) by the late Dick Bonin founder of SCUBA Pro and marketed by the long gone company called "Dive Master: of Chicago.

2) The second dive log was designed by Tom Ebro in 1966 (11 years later - 50 years ago ) As a requirement for the LA County Underwater Instructors Association for use in the worlds first ADP, the LA CO three (3) month long many dives Advanced Diver Program, aka ADP and for use in the LA Co UICC, the worlds first underwater training program established in 1954, which continues as the worlds most demanding a prestigious diving instructors training program ,

3) The rest of the diving world did not immediately develop dive logs but when the did they used, aka change the cover and/or patterned their dive logs after LA Counties log book.. Now there are many diving logs in every format-- choose one

4) I am told that some organizations and resorts demand logs be maintained and presented ($$$)

5) I recommend that you maintain a dive log- and take it on every dive trip and log every dive ASAP after the dive.
Log all that encompass hyperbaric exposure -in deep pool, a mud puddle, a quarry and the ocean- always include date, place depth and time. These entries are not only for your your benefit but are invaluable as you certainly realize for the attending or treating doctor and nurses

Now you know the history of the dive log I suspect you now know considerably more about the history of the dive log that a majority of the current diving community. Perhaps you can and can share these historical tid bits with your fuzzy faced instructor...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A) You are a nurse and live in the non diving capital of the US

B) You are aware how important a patients history is to the admitting doctor and nurses.

C) Most admits to ERs and for Hyperbaric treatment with diving related problems are not accompanied by the important dive history.

D) Dive history is becoming better with the advent of the dive computer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your-- the present generation is the first generation in the history of man that has been massively and repeatedly exposed to hyperbaric environments.

** Certain protocols for safe diving are in place -- slower assents, the safety stops .etc but long term value is undetermined at this juncture in time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karen FYI
During the 1980s and 1990s we had a loose organization in SoCal called "The fathers of free diving and spear fishing, " which was composed of as the title describes the fathers of free diving and spear fishing -- the ones who formed basis for "recreational" diving." All began long before Cousteau arrived in the US in 1948 with his bubble machine . these were the men and occasional woman who were there in the early days of the sport , some in the 1920s, others in began in the 1930s and the youngsters in the 1940s which included me and and my companions.

We met periodically and soon noticed our ranks were thinning in numbers and those attending were advancing in age..

It was determined to have one last meeting of what was remaining of the tribe ( no disrespect to native Americans or Canadians First Nations ) but that was our accepted name --no supper duper pooper diver/instructor ...Just a member of the tribe.

2000 was the date..the last gathering of the tribe.. letters were sent, telephoned calls were made and the fathers world wide responded and attended. This was the last great gathering of a group that was privileged and honored to be a participant and observer of a series of events that occurred for a very short time and never ever will be experienced again up on this earth.

The common thread was hearing aids and orthopedic devices all indicated was related to diving

That was 16 years ago all of the tribe from the 20s and 30s have departed to the big reef in the sky and only a smattering remain of the 1940s tribe .My fellow "Fathers" who began with me in the 1940s are among those in the big reef in the sky I am now experiencing the long term effect of hyperbaric exposures -- hearing is reduced (a lot!) we all had lots of trauma to the ears, equilibrium difficulties and a minimum amount of osteonecrosis, and of course some ecpected ambulatory difficulties ....But -- I would not hesitate do it all over again !!! My dear wife and all my five children have been diving in excess of 40 years and all the grand children are on their way as divers . and we are all aware of the possible long term effects
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fyi
you might want to google
San Diego Bottom Scratcher Spear Fishing club
Long Beach Neptune's Spear Fishing club
Charlie Sturgil
Dr. Sam Miller 111 diver or SCUBA
Dr. Sam Miller, IV ( use numbers in our family )
SAM IV is a NAUI (Life member) PADI instructor and SSI Pro 5000 (5000 verified dives ) as well as a ER & Hyperbaric doctor --has an impressive CV

So keep on logging dives ! Do it any ole way you desire (Well bless my heart !)

SDM

When are y'all mailing me some good ole Arkie cornbread? or a time tested recipe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday 22 October - next day
Good gosh I am wordy-- what happens when I rains in CenCal --we Californians remain inside
Afraid the water might shrink us or melt us

Karen hope my wordy post provides you with a certain amount of guidance sdm

Last edited:
Actually, yes. I found your "wordiness" very interesting! I always love learning! My husband and I are pretty new Divers. We have a very large lake that we can dive in, but I am so in love with the colors and collar and varieties of marine life in the ocean! Two of our children (16yo and 14yo) just got certified this year and hopefully the others will follow suit! Though the 17yo isn't interested (for now.) thanks for your time and thought in reply!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom