What destination to get 25+ dives in a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are describing Bonaire and Curacao. Since you have been to Bonaire and it isn't an option for you, Curacao has no equal!!! I have been there 13 times and I want to go there again. You can do all shore diving you want (easier access to shore diving than Bonaire usually) with beautiful beaches (better than Bonaire) and topside entertainment in town. The city, Willemstad, is a much more lively place than in Bonaire.

Diving in Curacao is far better and much more accessible than in Aruba for sure. To me if I want to go on a dive vacation, Aruba isn't even a thought. Curacao is still better overall than the Caymans and a lot less expensive (I have been to all of them several times).

Last edited:
There are three us in the family. Youngest is 12. Topside activities are not required. From what I have read Curacao is basically like Bonaire without the same level of shore diving access and variety.
It's often said Curacao is like Bonaire but that's only true to a certain extent. There's plenty of shore diving access in Curacao, it's just different. The roads are laid out a little differently, instead of most sites being along a road right along the coast, you often wind up taking spurs off a more inland road so a little further from one site to the next. (Plus the island itself is bigger.) Navigation can be trickier but I consider that part of the fun. No reason to move for every single dive - find a place you can load up on tanks, plant yourself on a beach for half a day and do a few dives in a spot. The sites themselves are mostly easier to get in the water than Bonaire, more beachy than ironshore. Lots of little coves and beaches, some bigger with facilities like restrooms and snackbars, and some tiny that you'll probably have to yourself. As far as variety, Bonaire may have more shore dive sites in number but many of them tend to be similar. There is more actual variety in Curacao sites. You might look into All West apartments. The diving is better at that end of the island and it is serviced by a good dive shop Go West diving with tanks. (No boats from there if you want that, you'd have to go to their main shop nearby at Kura Hulanda lodge, which is also a good place to spend a day shore diving and hanging out.)

St. Croix definitely looks like a possibility. I imagine that the is a lot to do topside as well? Has anyone ever stayed at the cane bay propety? Shore diving is free when you stay there so that is a huge plus. How good is the shore dive out front?

Also, what airport do you fly into on St. Croix?
STX is the St Croix airport abbreviation. My favorite place so far with a nice variety of dive sites and types. Great for beginners and the experienced alike. Several good dive ops including N2theBlue, Sweet Bottom, and S.C.U.B.A.

Topside some great beaches and waterfront restaurants, but it is pretty laid back. Heading for my 3rd trip in March. VRBO has lots of price points and there are some hotels as well. Have a great trip!!

If you stayed on Grand Cayman up near Turtle Reef, You could easily manage your dive number and have excellent quality shore diving there or next door at Lighthouse. They would probaly have a one week unlimited option available. when on GC, I dive Turtle Reef every afternoon and most nights. Always lots to see and photograph..

Sunset House would be a bit pricier and the shore diving IMO, is not nearly as good.

I think there are some moderately priced condos near Turtle Reef.

Meals on a budget always a bit of a challenge on GC, but if you were to stay at a condo, you could do some of your owncooking. We tend to do breakfast and lunch at the condo and then go out for dinner. Should be possible on your budget, convenient to US, safe, and good diving.

You could do this in Hawaii, as shore diving on both the Big Island and to lesser extent Maui, is plentiful and high quality. Along Alii Dr south of Kailua on the Big Island there are several condos with shore access, and plenty of other spots within a short driving distance.

Hawaii is also a good option since I am going next year to visit my son who is stationed in Pearl.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom