Considerations around switching to a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all thanks so much for all your help on this topic! - I know it wasn't easy with me :)

I will go for a BP/W with a 20lbs wing for all my warm water diving. Should I get into regular cold water diving, I will then look into buying a second wing.

My preference at the moment is the DSS LCD20, I just haven't decided yet if I will order it to the UK (which is extremely expensive) or wait until the next time I get to the US.

Last edited:
Why not a Apeks 18lbs wing instead of DSS LCD 20? Given the exchange rate of the sterling it is insane to buy anything aboard.
Unless you are not intended to dive in UK, you will need a bigger wing for cold water diving sooner or later. And a 30lbs wing might be just fine for both cold and warm water diving.
In tropical warm water I use 3kg of lead + Al plate + 3mm full suit + hood and vest with a 30lbs DR wing.
In Scapa Flow(6-8C) I use the same wing but with SS plate, 12kg of weight on a weight belt + canister light(1kg) + 7mm neoprene dry suit + undergarment. The wing was not even half inflated at 45m on SMS Markgraf.

Last edited:
First of all thanks so much for all your help on this topic! - I know it wasn't easy with me :)

I will go for a BP/W with a 20lbs wing for all my warm water diving. Should I get into regular cold water diving, I will then look into buying a second wing.

My preference at the moment is the DSS LCD20, I just haven't decided yet if I will order it to the UK (which is extremely expensive) or wait until the next time I get to the US.
You can try out my Apeks 18lb wing with an ally plate at our pool if you like. Currently Wapping on a Tuesday or Thursday evening. PM me if you'd like to organise something.

Ken

You can try out my Apeks 18lb wing with an ally plate at our pool if you like. Currently Wapping on a Tuesday or Thursday evening. PM me if you'd like to organise something.

Ken
That's great - thanks a lot, Ken!
I am a bit ill at the moment but will PM you after I have recovered, so we can organise sth.

Roman

I apologize for being obnoxiously off-topic, but if I could go back and change the years of my diver's biography, I would skip the bp/w phase and go from jacket straight to sidemount.

To the OP.

I own a DSS bpw single tank system and I feel it is exceptionally well thought out for single tank applications. Flatter profile plate with integrated webbing protectors. Two rubber keepers to align the wing. Two cam bands and wedge blocks to hold the tank. That it. No STA, no bolts and no wing nuts. The wing can be removed for cleaning and transport without unlacing the cam bands. As a designer I can appreciate how hard it is to make a design this simple and (Tobin is going to hate this) elegant.

The wings are very streamlined for single tank use and come in a multitude of lift sizes so you can fine tune your buoyancy needs. Plus Tobin will work with you personally about dialing in your lift requirements. I use a Torus 17 and SS plate for warm water diving. Love it. Getting a Torus 35 for local temperate dives.

I suggest looking at the videos on the DSS site and giving Tobin a call. If nothing else you will learn a lot about bpw systems.

To the OP.

I own a DSS bpw single tank system and I feel it is exceptionally well thought out for single tank applications. Flatter profile plate with integrated webbing protectors. Two rubber keepers to align the wing. Two cam bands and wedge blocks to hold the tank. That it. No STA, no bolts and no wing nuts. The wing can be removed for cleaning and transport without unlacing the cam bands. As a designer I can appreciate how hard it is to make a design this simple and (Tobin is going to hate this) elegant.

The wings are very streamlined for single tank use and come in a multitude of lift sizes so you can fine tune your buoyancy needs. Plus Tobin will work with you personally about dialing in your lift requirements. I use a Torus 17 and SS plate for warm water diving. Love it. Getting a Torus 35 for local temperate dives.

I suggest looking at the videos on the DSS site and giving Tobin a call. If nothing else you will learn a lot about bpw systems.

I own a DSS single tank rig, too and can subscribe to every word what Hamatchi said.

Back
Top Bottom