Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe for you, but us regular divers don't understand what the hell happened, and we (I've) been told to be patient. Are you implying we have gotten all we are going to get?

Here's the basic scenario:

One diver took his CCR off 1500' back in the cave and left it there and then switched to open circuit. It appears that the two divers then tried to tow out on a single scooter, or they tried to swim out together but brought a single scooter, or one scootered and one swam, or they traded the scooter back and forth taking turns swimming.

On the way out they left several empty tanks. Eventually they used up the last of their gas.

We don't know any more because the only two people that were witnesses to this whole series of events are now dead.

Seriously, that's it.

You might want to know why he took his CCR off, so do the rest of us. There are theories, but they're just speculation.

We have been unable to download the data from the computers because of the dive duration. I haven't gotten an update on that.

So while this incident isn't something I need to worry about right now, there may be something I learn that could apply to future diving. I found the gas density/lung report fascinating and that could apply to anyone diving deep, not just in a cave, not just on CC and not necessarily extremely deep.

Don't take a functioning CCR off and leave it 1500' back in a cave? I mean I guess we could add that as a new rule to accident analysis, but I would think that seems kind of obvious.

Here's the gas density thread posted by Mr. Mitchell I mentioned earlier. Again, I'm NOT suggesting in any way this has anything to do with this incident. Simply pointing out what was learned.

Gas density guidelines

Here's the presentation.

Completely unrelated, but this is an excellent presentation and I suggest everyone involved in deep (deeper that 160') diving spend the time watching. I revised some of my teaching materials after verifying the references cited in the presentation.

Do they think he took his ccr off and continue to go deeper into the cave on OC? Or, was it removed at the turn around point?

This is endemic of all of scuba diving. In fact, the cave diving community is better at providing information about diving accidents than pretty much any other facet of the diving industry. I've learned to stay out of discussions about diving accidents because of the visceral responses that typically come from wanting to find out what happened. I understand it ... these are often friends, relatives, or casual acquaintances we want to protect. But the priority isn't about learning, or figuring out how to prevent the same from occurring elsewhere. It's more often about protecting reputations ... or a dive op or dive site that people don't want to see jeopardized.

A couple years ago there was a local diving accident where a woman died. Even from the limited information available, it was clear that there were some serious flaws in the decision to even conduct the dive. Those of us who pointed it out were blasted ... this woman died in front of her 8-year old son, and everybody was more concerned about what he would think than they were about pointing out the obvious flaws that led to this woman even being in the water at that time. We were told to wait until all the facts came out.

Two years have passed, and we're still waiting ... all the facts will NEVER come out. They never do. They won't this time either. They can't. Despite the best efforts of all the people involved ... and like all of you I have nothing but respect and admiration for the folks who sacrificed so much to bring these divers out of there ... the facts died with the victims. There's nothing to learn. Diving's a risky activity. There are ways to mitigate the risks. From everything I've read it appears these two divers were well trained, well experienced, and well prepared for this dive. They did everything they were supposed to do and they still died.

Sh!t happens ... that's all the lesson we're ever likely to get.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This might be interesting, this is what we publish every year other side of the pond. You may note the incidents are anonymous particularly p6 fatalities so we can at least know the facts of what happened.

http://www.bsac.com/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=26912&filetitle=Diving+Incident+Report+2015

Last edited:
Here's the basic scenario:

One diver took his CCR off 1500' back in the cave and left it there and then switched to open circuit. It appears that the two divers then tried to tow out on a single scooter, or they tried to swim out together but brought a single scooter, or one scootered and one swam, or they traded the scooter back and forth taking turns swimming.

On the way out they left several empty tanks. Eventually they used up the last of their gas.

We don't know any more because the only two people that were witnesses to this whole series of events are now dead.

Seriously, that's it.

You might want to know why he took his CCR off, so do the rest of us. There are theories, but they're just speculation.

We have been unable to download the data from the computers because of the dive duration. I haven't gotten an update on that.
Thanks I will try not to ask stupid questions, but the removal occurred in conjunction with a tight restriction or not?

Regarding point 6 of Roberson's excellent report, do we yet know the status of the battery in the DPV found near Diver 1?
LED battery indicator showed 3/3 LEDs.

Thanks I will try not to ask stupid questions, but the removal occurred in conjunction with a tight restriction or not?

One mans "tight" is another man's "that's wide open, what are you talking about?". I've looked at that restriction four times and felt it was not for me, but I'm an old guy with a wife and dogs.

You can see a video of it in this post, which is in this thread here, and judge for yourself. Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Back
Top Bottom