New computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMoody98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got a new petrel 2 computer, can't wait to try it out!! My back up will be a veo 2. Should I expect them to read fairly close during dives??

Just recently started diving a Petrel also you will love it. In rec mode it is a very simple computer with a lot of features to grow into! You have 3 levels of conservatism you can set the computer too you should be able to find one that will closely mimic the veo 2.

it depends on what settings you put the Veo on. Personally, I would put the Veo on DSAT with no extra conservatism and let it go. Your Petrel is probably the least likely computer on the market to fail you, but make sure you read up on decompression algorithms and how and why the gradient factors are used in order to make sure you select the right conservatism values on that computer

I have a Perdix and my backup is Scubapro Chromis. They don't agree with each other so I keep the Chromis in Gauge mode.

Just got a new petrel 2 computer, can't wait to try it out!! My back up will be a veo 2. Should I expect them to read fairly close during dives??

It's actually not as simple as you would think. I have a few over 1200 dives on DSAT and am very familiar with the algorithm. I wanted to get experience with Buhlmann ZHL-16C with GF so I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q. Ultimately, I would like to replace my aging Oceanic VT3 with an AI running ZHL + GF. I have about 60 dives on the Nitek Q now. For recreational diving, the profile is mainly dictated by the GF hi unless you choose a very low GF lo. For deeper dives, say 80 feet or deeper, a GF hi of 100 is the best fit. Around 60-80 feet, a GF hi of 95 matches DSAT better. For dives under around 60 feet, a GF hi of 90 is good. I'm not at all sure why the relationship is not more constant. It makes choosing a GF more difficult for multilevel dives so that the NDL for the deep portion is not too short and/or the NDL for the shallow portion is not too long. I guess when I finally switch over to Buhlmann, I will simply have to decide on GFs to use.

I would love to hear from others who have experience with both algorithms

Like Bratface, I plan my dive profile before hand and run my back up in gauge mode. In the event that my Shearwater fails, I can just revert to my planned dive on the slate and use my back up in gauge mode to complete the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom