Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, does the PLB come with the float pouch?
I think that they are required by law to make them buoyant or include the pouch. ACR makes a PLB that doesn't float, a little smaller, but comes with a pouch.

Dan, does the PLB come with the float pouch?
I think that is required by law. ACR has another PLB that doesn't float, slightly smaller, that comes with a pouch.

IMG_4437.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG

Ken T in post # 146, page 15 of this tread: Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea shows his set up, where the PLB1 in its pouch & in customs diver container.

Last edited:
Dan, do you know where he got that aluminum container?

I think the Light Monkey canister could fit both plus a beer and a hoagie. :D

They put a loop of line inside attached to the lid to keep everything secure.
It's big. I can fit both my oversized PLB and a big marine radio in it. But only one at a time. It kept the PLB nice and d
I can't seem to find a LM canister link. And we need to change the beer and hoagie to a margarita with chips and salsa. :p
You need to call them. It was $263 including ground shipping. Their suggestion was to ship them what you want to carry and they will find the smallest canister that holds it, but I just got the huge one as I was short on time.

Don, the Kona is made out of a thick plastic material with beefy vice-grip top seal, unlike those ziplock bag ones that are rated for 60' deep. I bought one of those thin plastic ziplock bag one ($2.95 from eBay), compare it with Kona pouch & have similar thought that ziplock bag one is probably only good for snorkeling. So hold your horses until I test this Kona pouch. I plan to put a folded paper towel inside the pouch, put the pouch in my BCD pocket, take it down to 100'+ deep & check whether the paper towel is wet by the time I get back on the boat.

Based on what I learnt from physics, even if some water leak into the pouch during an hour dive, as long as the pouch is not completely flooded with seawater, leaving some air still trapped inside the pouch, due to the trapped air inside the pouch being compressible, the pressure inside the pouch would not reach 22.4 psig (50' water column equivalent pressure, which is the water column pressure rating for the PLB1), then the PLB1 would still be OK. Of course, a complete dry inside pouch is preferable. We'll see in a month, when I go diving & testing the pouch.
since the kona bag is flexible, all of its contents will be subjected to the ambient pressure at depth. this includes any air trapped inside and your plb. everything gets squished.

since it is flexible, the bag will not implode. the things inside will...

put a marshmellow in along with your paper towel...

since the kona bag is flexible, all of its contents will be subjected to the ambient pressure at depth. this includes any air trapped inside and your plb. everything gets squished.

since it is flexible, the bag will not implode. the things inside will...

put a marshmellow in along with your paper towel...

I grip the PLB1 on my hand. It is solid like a rock. I think inside is mostly the Li-Ion battery that is warranted for 7 year. The antenna is a 10" long stainless steel spiral wound blade like in a tape measure. It should be able to withstand a 60 psig (40m or 133' water column) pressure easily.

Back
Top Bottom