Depth: 95 ft, In Deco, 500 psi, No Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This video of the day's adventures ends with me diving alone in a screaming current, the boat breaking down and drifting away and subsequently calling the Coast Guard for a "lost diver scenario" - all this AND the USCG found my float and was waiting for me on the surface BEFORE I even knew there was a problem.

After I was ordered to board their boat - they were very intent on trying to find an illegal lobster in my bag.. then when they returned me to the broken down boat, they then had to check the boat for illegal lobsters, check everyone's ID - (even those not diving) and during the process they were unable to determine if my license was valid..so they ask me - if i am allowed to catch lobsters. :rolleyes:

Then, they have to go through a full boat safety check and when that is all fine they leave us, floating off in a 3 kt current with a broken down vessel. Sea Tow was able to provide assistance to the vessel - but not the coast guard.

Start the video around 6:50 for the portion discussed.

lol the 'land of the free' what a joke to serve and protect

Nice video. However, this hunt is not very clean when it comes to respecting the reef, if you allow me saying this. :confused::drunks:

"He's a bit of a clown" Nice thing to say about a buddy.:rofl3:

I was just having fun.

I didn't want to make a deal about it. If you care... The deal was that two of us has licenses to present to the USCG. We are allowed 12 lobsters per person (on sport season) and we had a total of like 23 lobsters. So I initially heard the one diver indicate he forgot to bring his card, so I was trying to make it easy for everyone on board and explained we were presenting two cards and had less than the limit for 2 people and if they did not witness the third guy catching lobsters and if he does not voluntarily say he was catching lobsters - then we all go home happy.

So presented that scenario and also made a joke, but the third guy contradicted me, said he caught bugs. Luckily they can search on line and verified his license, but I wanted to avoid that whole potential conflict - especially if the computers were down.

My first ride on the Red Boat.

I didn't want to make a deal about it. If you care... The deal was that two of us has licenses to present to the USCG. We are allowed 12 lobsters per person (on sport season) and we had a total of like 23 lobsters. So I initially heard the one diver indicate he forgot to bring his card, so I was trying to make it easy for everyone on board and explained we were presenting two cards and had less than the limit for 2 people and if they did not witness the third guy catching lobsters and if he does not voluntarily say he was catching lobsters - then we all go home happy.

So presented that scenario and also made a joke, but the third guy contradicted me, said he caught bugs. Luckily they can search on line and verified his license, but I wanted to avoid that whole potential conflict - especially if the computers were down.

My first ride on the Red Boat.

Like any politician can tell you - it is never the "crime" that gets you in trouble, it is the little lie to try and cover it up...

I don't read this particular sub forum very much (almost never). Tonight, I thought I'd take a gander around. One thing I've noticed is that 3 of the 5 threads that I've opened have been created, and involve the same person. Am I the only one who is finding this odd? :)

No... He is a very good old school diver that likes to share real world diving.. A lot of divers would never post in here.. And I dare say... They don't even know that they f#%k up...

Jim..

Leaving the zipper down on the bag - Classic! and yup, done that! AFA mini-season..... that! is exactly why I don't do it anymore. Did it once and between all the idiots on the water and the over abundance of enforcement agencies stopping you to check that your flares aren't expired it's too much of a hassle for a few bugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom