Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi guys
just a quick question for all you por scuba divers out there.
With being new to the sport i was wondering if you had any tips on how to bring down my air consumption so im not burning tanks in quick time.
any help would be grate.
Trim and buoyancy plus more dives. Its v important not to worry about it. If you really want to get it down change sex.

more a skill to be comfortable with than conservatory.

Thanks, I get that it doesn't conserve gas as much as it makes me more comfortable adding skills therefore saving gas...
I'm Definitely more interested in the most efficient way to breathe.

IMO the more you think about your breathing, low lung/high lung, too fast/too slow, holding in/out too long etc, the worse your consumption, overthinking an involuntary biological process seems like the wrong approach.

When you stop thinking about it, are comfortable and mostly buoyancy/trim dialed in you'll probably start seeing improvements.

Very true Skeptic14 :). The first step is not to think about it, relax and especially have the correct weight and trim.

ONLY, Once you are there, you can try to improve with you lungs and rythm.

ONLY, Once you are there, you can try to improve with you lungs and rythm.

Ya, I get that. Sooooo now that I'm there... I'm wondering about the possibility of becoming more effective at breathing.
I am happy with my weighting, trim and buoyancy and can manage 60 min. on a 60ft dive with an 80cu.ft. bottle. Not trying to over think anything, just wondering about the science.

If you want to learn more about effective breathing, a freediving course will teach you a lot as well as make you a better diver all around. It's a worthwhile growth area, IMO, and well worth the effort. It is surprising the importance of breathing, to the art of not breathing. A lot of time is spent on the subject in a basic freediving class.

Breathing may be an "involuntary biological process", but that does not mean that a person automatically knows everything about it and how to improve/optimize it. That's a bit like saying that since need to eat to survive, people automatically know everything about nutrition and diet without taking the time to study it or learn from others.

Unless they teach free diving in Shallow pools or extremely cold mountain lakes, I'm guessing they aren't available here.
I'm not interested in any aspects of a free diving course other than the Physiology of breathing so I will look elsewhere, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom