Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me ....it's the peace and quiet. And of course the sea life. I started out snorkeling in Florida and tried scuba and feel in love with it. I also love all the destinations you can visit.

Love the peace and tranquility, and to a degree the challenges. I enjoy the planning aspects of tec diving, and there is the social aspect that is really great. I have met a lot of great people. Also apparently I have gobs of money to spend that I could not find a better reason to spend it on.

First got certified because a friend and I were going to Australia, and GBR was on top of the list.

Afterwards I stopped for a few years because my then boyfriend was like 'I'd love to learn to dive. But first let's plan a holiday that doesn't involve diving'. It was like that every time when we planned a holiday.

The relationship wasn't going anywhere, and we both agreed that it would be good for us to part our ways. So we did.

I got back to diving right afterwards, and did AOW and rescue. Diving was therapeutic at the beginning of the second round, and now I really enjoy it and it has become part of my identity.

My love of nature, the challenge of UW photography and exploring places the nose breathers don't know about.

Serious eye infection contracted from YMCA pool.

Doctor suggested eve protection while swimming---parents purchased goggles
I progressed from there...

I was never certified as a basic diver but After service in Korean war and a short apprentice I had developed the experience, knowledge and physical ability to be accepted and successfully complete the three months long LA County UW Instructors program, the most difficult and demanding SCUBA instructor program ever created

sdm

Last edited:
Went to college in Florida, it seemed like the right thing to do to have fun....afterwards, it became a wonderful family hobby that we have enjoyed as a family since our little one was 14... That was 12 years ago.

I like the feeling of weightlessness too :)

Well I got into scuba because I studied biology and needed more credits to graduate, but as a biology student, scuba was the most PERFECT choice ever.

Other reasons:

Because I love marine life.
I studied biology in college (I really wanted it to be marine biology.), I like to visit aquariums, if I'm watching national geographic or a similar TV show, it's usually something about the ocean,
My favorite outdoor activities involve water (swimming Paddleboard, kayak.. Scuba! Snorkeling...), when I went on cruises the excursions we chose were the helmet dive (whatever it's called where you're walking on the bottom of the ocean with just a helmet on), and any water activity. In other words, I was meant for scuba diving.
As far as college goes, I actually did not become a biologist, I became a Lab Technologist but that still does not change the way I feel about the sport or the ocean.

1. I get to breathe underwater. The first time I breathed underwater without being distracted by my gear something just clicked in my brain. I still remember the feeling, where I was, and what happened immediately before and after it. That experience is why I dive.
2. I don't have to listen to people talk. Listening to people talk and maintaining a neutral expression used to be a major component of my day job (interviews, focus groups, obnoxious coworkers) and diving was a nice break from that.
3. There's always something more to learn. I never feel complacent.
4. I get to meet cool people.
5. I have an interesting hobby/way of life and my circles of interest keep growing as a result.
6. I get to travel to far-flung places and just dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom