Underwater texting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the communication interface looks to be via just 4 buttons, people are hardly going to be typing conversations quickly. The point here is (if it works as advertised) the computers have the ability to communicate.

Like the Lynx before hand you can see your buddies gas contents and location approx distance

At the moment it's only between computers of the same brand, but if the protocol took off then it could mean different computers and different brands could share data

I remember when a seemingly pointless protocol for near field communication on phones was being tested. Now every device has Bluetooth, even some dive computers

I will stick with my intense games of X's and O's while on my deco. Can't imagine having my phone under water, my mom would be texting telling me her text is not working on her phone.

You consider hand signals and slate communications to be crap? It's not for texting people topside, it's just another way of communicating with a buddy. A bit more detailed and accurate, IMHO. As long as it's technically workable, it sounds like a great idea to me.
I solo dive.

Most of the times my buddy is my wife. So please keep this Devil's Invention out of the sea :) Even whatsapp is killing me above the water, no need for something similar under it.

Diving for me is one way to get away from the technology that surrounds us in the modern world - please don't say it is going to come underwater.

I have an old iPad which I vacuum sealed and it works perfectly underwater.
It has a big database of all living creatures which I can acces underwater.
I can take notes of my findings, compare underwater scenes with older pictures and easy texting with my buddy.

I do miss my iPod sometimes. :nyah:

With the more expensive dive computers out there, I think you can text your buddy. And you can even post on Facebook how deep your diving.. It's some app called Movescount that some of the suuntos have

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom