Schedule Query Moalboal & Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ala'ume

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys,
I'm new to diving and Im traveling to Cebu in November.
I can fit in 5 consecutive days of diving for this one week trip and I decided to go for Moalboal and Dumaguete.

I was wondering if you were to divide the 5 days into two places how would you do it.
Logistically, I'm heading over to Moalboal from airport first, then to Dumaguete
I was thinking of going 3/2days or 2/3days

I'm asking almost entirely in the perpective for divers as in good dive spots and stuff to see UNDERWATER. Im less interested about the surrounding areas.

I got my OW and AOW in Mactan/Bohol area so that bit is out. (I considered Malapascua but i will save that for later)

Thank you.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Moalboal area is quite limited. Pescador is probably one of the best spots in the PI, so expect to go there everyday (early morning better), then you have the sardine school just in front of Panagsama village. These are ot to be missed and it's most likely that you'll cover it in one day. Night diving is also much better for critters on Kasai or any other wall, other than that I wasn't very much impressed (been 3 times in Moalboal, first time to get my NX cert with Savedra, that was 15 years ago) . In clear I would say 2 days is enough.

Dauin based diving covers a wider area as it's also the opportunity to go for a daytrip diving Apo island. hence you will have only 2 days around Dauin : mostly sand and muck. You could also tuck in a daytrip diving to Sumilon and (God forbids!) Oslob. So I guess 3 days is not too many.

The best spot in Moalboal is the Sanctuary which is quite a distance away. Most operators would only go if there is big enough demand!! Beautiful wall with huge sea fans at depth ie. 40m+. Failing that Pescado Island is a good alternative and it is only about 30 mins away.
It will take few hrs to travel between Moalboal and Dumaguete by public transport.
Dumaguete(Dauin) is well known for macro but I found the dives around the area pretty boring. Apo Island is better.
If you are flying out from Cebu City then do prepare for the long journey from Domaguete.

Pescador in Moalboal is great, and so are the sardines, right in front of Panagsama beach. Pescador has nice walls, with trevalleys, all kinds of wrasse, ect, just good fish life in general.

Dauin/Duma has some unreal macro, so if you are into that, you can spend 3 years and not just 3 days there. So the question comes down to how much of a macro nerd you are!

I'm not the OP.

I'm not a macro nerd at all. I want to actually see the critters with my own eyes, and my eyes are not as young as they used to be.

Also we don't dive below 30m.

Apo island sounds good for us. I have seen some people love it and can't get enough and some say they don't go there any more because it's not as good as it used to be -- a statement I have heard said about just about every place I've been.

So I'm thinking 3 days in Moalboal (why not do the sardines twice?), and 4 in Dauin (twice to Apo island, one for sand, and one for Oslob.

- Bill

Have you considered southern Leyte? Beautiful diving. A lot of fish. Lots. And healthy coral.

Up until few months ago getting to Southern Leyte is slow and slow. But now there is twice daily ferry departure from Cebu City to Maasin and onward to Padre Burgos.
Contact the local dive operator for detail.
Peter's is my recommendation but there is at least another one(a stone throw away) with equally good reputation but I do not have any first hand experience of it.
AC and hot water are part of the deal!!!!! They are not scuba junkie Komodo!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom