Alcohol and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well.... to answer the question what alcohol does to the body, I'm not sure how it works for other people but I can't drink alcohol at all... I don't know what happened but somewhere along the line drinking alcohol started giving me a heart arrhythmia. These days if I drink even a small amount of alcohol my body protests wildly, so it's mint tea for me. :wink:

R..

Very informative.

I probably should clarify that The drinking happens after the last dive. And it would only be a couple. Not enough to get drunk.
The only drink that I will take after diving is WATER. It will be at least couple of hrs later then I will accept a BEER.

What does drinking alcohol after diving do to the body? What dangers are there?

People will disagree with me but I don't see a problem with drinking a few beers AFTER diving. Albeit after a short delay to make sure I am not showing any signs of DCS if I have done a lot of diving or aggressive profiles.

The big risk here is dehydration. I use common sense and I take steps and make sure I also drink lots water and don't overdo it on my alcohol consumption. I don't do mixed drinks or hard alcohol but I find 3 beers or so along with water is fine. Go to bed earlier, drink water before bed and in the morning before diving.

Being sick/hungover on a boat is NEVER fun. Been there, done that. I was young and stupid, slightly older but also slightly less stupid now.

In short, don't stress over 2-3 beers. Call it is an early night and drink plenty of water. If you can't limit yourself, don't drink at all.

I'm probably still too new to have much of an opinion or insight, to diving anyway - I've got lots of experience with alcohol.

I will say though that I noticed that the effects of Jamaica's rum punch showed up much faster after a couple of dives than usual this year. Definitely resulted in drinking a lot fewer on this last vacation than any other previous.

That first beer after a day of diving seems so refreshing because you're dehydrated. My guess would be that any exaggerated effects of alcohol after diving are due to dehydration and/or low blood sugar. Eat something and drink some water, then enjoy a beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom