Debugging infrared connection to an Uwatec Aladin Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now the only thing I can't do is to get a native Mac-based dive log program to talk via infrared dongle to the Aladin Tec. I have Scubapro's LogTrak installed on my Mac. When I start it and plug in the dongle, I see lights flashing on the dongle, but the app always errors-out trying to find the Aladin Tec.

I just want to confirm that you do *not* have the Asix driver installed. They have a MacOS version of their driver, but neither LogTRAK nor Dive Log Manager will work properly if it is installed on your Mac. (Both applications pre-date the availability of this driver and so it just get's in the way and "hogs" the device). And if you remove it, make sure you *really* have removed all of it as it has a couple of components which can cause it to stick around even if you thought you removed it.

I'd be very interested in trying Dive Log Manager as an alternative dive log app on the Mac, but before spending money on the paid version would like to verify that my infrared dongle will work on the Mac (which itself has since been upgraded to macOS Sierra). As Janice notes, the free version of Dive Log Manager doesn't support the infrared link. Any suggestions on how I can test the infrared dongle under macOS Sierra before buying Dive Log Manager?

Well, if your personal preference to is purchase non-Mac App store software, you can purchase Dive Log Manager from our website. If it doesn't work for you, we have the ability to refund your money. If your personal preference is to use Mac App Store software, you can purchase DiveLogDT from Apple. If it doesn't work for you, you can save the receipt email you get from them, follow through on the "Report A Problem" with your purchase, and request a refund from Apple. Developers have no insight into purchases at all, but I know that they have refunded people's money even though they say they don't.

Given what you've said in the first part of your message, I'm pretty confident that your IrDA dongle is compatible with our software. But if it *doesn't* work natively with ScubaPro's LogTRAK, then there is a good chance something is "going on" and therefore a good chance it also won't work with our software. I have not yet tried LogTRAK under Sierra, but I use it all the time without issue with previous MacOS versions. If you get LogTRAK working, I'm confident that then our software will as well.

Janice

I just want to confirm that you do *not* have the Asix driver installed. They have a MacOS version of their driver, but neither LogTRAK nor Dive Log Manager will work properly if it is installed on your Mac. (Both applications pre-date the availability of this driver and so it just get's in the way and "hogs" the device). And if you remove it, make sure you *really* have removed all of it as it has a couple of components which can cause it to stick around even if you thought you removed it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Janice. Actually as part of my efforts I did install the Asix driver. Do you know what I need to do to make sure I remove all components? I don't recall seeing an uninstall utility along with the installer. I'm happy to dig in and go directory by directory to delete files if I know what I'm looking for.

Steve, I presume that this is working on your mac because you have partitioned your hard drive to run OS and Windows?. I was not aware that the Smart Trak software was even compatible with a mac full stop.

Thanks for the suggestions, Janice. Actually as part of my efforts I did install the Asix driver. Do you know what I need to do to make sure I remove all components? I don't recall seeing an uninstall utility along with the installer. I'm happy to dig in and go directory by directory to delete files if I know what I'm looking for.

Actually, Asix makes it relatively easy to remove. Just download the whole package again. You'll see there are two "dmg" files that can be mounted as a disk image. One has "Driver" in the name and the other has "Application" in the name. Mount up the "Application" one first and then double click the "Uninstall" script inside it. Then mount up the "Driver" one and double click it's Uninstall script. You want to uninstall the application first so that nothing is using the driver so that it can be uninstalled properly. The installation PDF in the package does have a very short section on uninstalling FYI but it doesn't say anymore than the above.Oh, and make sure the IrDA dongle is not plugged in when you're doing this. Then reboot and it should all be gone.

Janice

Steve, I presume that this is working on your mac because you have partitioned your hard drive to run OS and Windows?. I was not aware that the Smart Trak software was even compatible with a mac full stop.

SmartTRAK is/was PC only and has been discontinued by ScubaPro. The new software is called LogTRAK and ScubaPro supplies both a Windows and a MacOS version. Initially the MacOS version didn't support IrDA dive computers but they added the support in rather quietly eventually.

Janice

Actually, Asix makes it relatively easy to remove. Just download the whole package again. You'll see there are two "dmg" files that can be mounted as a disk image. One has "Driver" in the name and the other has "Application" in the name. Mount up the "Application" one first and then double click the "Uninstall" script inside it. Then mount up the "Driver" one and double click it's Uninstall script. You want to uninstall the application first so that nothing is using the driver so that it can be uninstalled properly. The installation PDF in the package does have a very short section on uninstalling FYI but it doesn't say anymore than the above.Oh, and make sure the IrDA dongle is not plugged in when you're doing this. Then reboot and it should all be gone.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. Here's my current status:

-- The place where I'd previously downloaded the Asix driver package was here: MCS7780 - USB 1.1 to IrDA Controller | ASIX

As you say, there is a dmg file for the driver, and one with application in the name. When I run the one for the driver, the box expands for a split-second as though something is starting, but then it disappears. I tried this several times and got the same results. So it's possible that the installer isn't really running, and didn't install anything at all.

Meanwhile, the file that I remember running successfully was actually the application, which is a command-line utility for use in Terminal that's supposed to be able to provide status info on the driver. The utility seemed to install okay, but I couldn't get any pertinent info when I actually ran it in Terminal. There is no uninstaller in the dmg package. The pdf documentation with the application file says that it is just a single .app file in /Applications, so to uninstall the application you just delete that one file. I did so.

-- Meanwhile, I note that when I plug the infrared dongle into a usb slot, the following device shows up under System Report:

Vendor-Specific Device:

Product ID: 0x7780
Vendor ID: 0x9710 (Moschip Semiconductor Technology)
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
This disappears when I unplug the dongle.

-- As previously noted, the dongle and my Uwatec Aladin Tec work fine together with SmartTrak in Windows 10 under Parallels.

-- When I try the dongle and Aladin Tec with LogTrak in macOS Sierra, I see the light on the dongle flashing when I try to access the dive computer, but it errors out. Interestingly, if the Aladin Tec is not present, LogTrak keeps trying for a while before giving up. If the Aladin Tec is within range, it comes back with an error message much more quickly. This implies to me that the software can detect the dive computer, but something isn't set up right to make it work (speed? I don't know what parameters exist that could be an issue).

-- I'd be game to try the paid version of Dive Log Manager, but can't find a download link on your website. Could you send me a url to the specific page where it can be purchased?

Thanks again for the help --

Hi all,

I have installed Log-Trak onto my Mac the software seems to be running ok on version 1.2.0.1.

The issue I have is my IrDA dongle isn't working. Looking at the instructions it appears to be for PC only. It's an ST Lab dongle U-243.

Can you please recommend an IrDA dongle that will work on my mac as it looks like I need to buy a new one.

As you say, there is a dmg file for the driver, and one with application in the name. When I run the one for the driver, the box expands for a split-second as though something is starting, but then it disappears. I tried this several times and got the same results. So it's possible that the installer isn't really running, and didn't install anything at all.

I would try running the uninstall script inside a Terminal window and see if you see anything interesting like an error message. It doesn't sound like it has been removed. Navigate to the folder inside Terminal and run the uninstall script like:

./uninstall

again making sure that the dongle is not plugged in when you do it. Once you think it's removed, and you've rebooted the machine, then plug in the dongle again and bring up a Terminal window. Run the command "kextstat" and look for the Asix driver in the last entry or so. (I can't remember exactly what's it's called there, but you should recognize it). If it shows up, then it hasn't been removed yet.

-- When I try the dongle and Aladin Tec with LogTrak in macOS Sierra, I see the light on the dongle flashing when I try to access the dive computer, but it errors out. Interestingly, if the Aladin Tec is not present, LogTrak keeps trying for a while before giving up. If the Aladin Tec is within range, it comes back with an error message much more quickly. This implies to me that the software can detect the dive computer, but something isn't set up right to make it work (speed? I don't know what parameters exist that could be an issue).

There is a setting on the Galileo family of devices for "IrDA Fast/Slow". I don't know if the Aladin Tec has this or not. But this setting is normally only changed when you have trouble with large transfers, not in connecting in the first place, so I don't think it would make a difference, but you could try. It still could be the Asix driver .... ?

-- I'd be game to try the paid version of Dive Log Manager, but can't find a download link on your website. Could you send me a url to the specific page where it can be purchased?

Thanks again for the help --

If you go to the main home page and scroll down bit to information about Dive Log Manager/DiveLogDT, you can click the link next to "Dive Log Manager - ==>download from our website<== (free with an optional In-App purchase for the full featured version)"

The free version does not support Downloading dive computers so you will have to purchase a license to get that functionality. Let us know if you have any issues.

Janice

Hi all,

I have installed Log-Trak onto my Mac the software seems to be running ok on version 1.2.0.1.

The issue I have is my IrDA dongle isn't working. Looking at the instructions it appears to be for PC only. It's an ST Lab dongle U-243.

Can you please recommend an IrDA dongle that will work on my mac as it looks like I need to buy a new one.

The official ScubaPro/UWatec one of course works :) And there is a forum post on our website that has several links for finding a cheaper compatible IrDA dongle:

More Mobile Software • View topic - "new" UWatec IrDA USB dongle available

These will work with both our software and LogTRAK.
Janice

Back
Top Bottom