cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go just about every year & almost always in early Feb & yes it's "El Norte" season but so are all of the winter months. The wind can blow hard from the north any time of the year & a search here can prove that. Some trips I loose up to 2 days to weather related problems & once I lost 3 days but all things considered I get in all of the diving I came to do. I do however spend 2 weeks there which insures at least several decent "vacation" days.
The way I look at travel to Cozumel or just about anywhere I will fly is that air fare for 1 week isn't much different than air fare for 2 or even 3 weeks PLUS a big part of staying longer ( food & beverages) cost $$$ you will spend at home too. Done right my wife & I can usually get that second week's stay for less than $300 each, & that's a pretty good way to spend that money. .

The mainland is a lot more than non-stop partying. A lot more.
Well, yes. If the OP's preference is something else, then it's a different decision. If his preference is for the diving, however, the mainland is a poor choice compared to the island.

hi guys thinking of going to cozumel feb 17, is this a good idea to stay on cozumel or be based at
playa del carmen, going for 10 days, had a chat with pro dive, and they seem to have a good deal,
or what other dive centres are there out there, thanks sam.
Did you chose those dates to be there for Carnival, or realize that you are hitting one of the busiest weeks of the year? Carnival is February 22, 2017 – February 28, 2017.

You can do a few days at PDC and a few on Coz if you want to split it up, do different things. The peninsula is famous for its Cenote diving and Myan ruins, and Playa del Carmen is infamous for its party vibe - more Europeans than you'll see on the island. If you're coming from the UK, you will probably go thru Cancun arriving and departing anyway, rather than going thru the US and having to deal with our Immigration, Customs, and TSA since very few of our airports have international zones.

Poor guy probably hasn't been back since he asked, and he is going to return in time to find his idea overwhelmed with opinions.

Isn't Feb 'El Norte' season ?
Yep, something to consider. They're talking about fronts that blow in from the north creating strong north winds, choppy seas in the park, and halting diving for a day or two.

thanks for all your input, but just got a deal of a life time going to the maldives,
will put mexico off till later in the year,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom