Little Cayman as a new diver - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those Twin Otters are work horses! The fly them onto the glaciers surrounding Denali all the time, albeit with most of the seats removed for the piles of climbing gear.

I've got a message into my friend and we'll go from there.

Airfare is not included in our trip. So friend and I are deciding which flight to book on.

CA flies direct from ORD (O'Hare) to Grand Cayman. I wish I could book that flight right now. My friend is flying from a southern US city.

Last edited:
You can book your trip to GC anytime. It's just the flight to LC that you need to secure. Just check your likely flights into GC to see what time you will arrive. Most flights from the states gets you into GC around that 1:00pm time give or take.

If you want to play it safe, book the 5:00pm flight from GC to LC. They are usually nonstop. (Don't stop in Cayman Brac first) On the return flight from LC to GC, some flights stop over in CB before going on to GC. Look for the flight that is 35 minutes in length. That will be a nonstop.

We did a week at LCBR last September. The diving was awesome. Most of our group dove air, if we had been doing more than 3 dives a day I would have been likely to dive nitrox. The boat crews were AMAZING, they took care of everything we needed. Dive briefings were spot on. My only wish was for more diving.

Unlike previous posters, I was less than impressed with the food. Out of all the dive trips I've been on, this was by far the least impressive from the food aspect. Desserts tasted store bought, the food was just OK, and the service was average.

Overall, I'd definitely go again. Maybe next time we'll get the good food.

I'm more worried about friend wanting to do stuff I'm not comfortable with, such as swim throughs/depths. I suspect she'll be getting buddied up with someone else for at least some of the dives.

Marie,
As you get some experience, you will find that some things that sound formidable are actually quite easy and enjoyable. For example, most of the swim throughs on LC (at least the ones that the divemasters will brief) are mostly open and very easy. Everything is set up with resort divers in mind, so no dives are very challenging. AND, if your friend wants to buddy with someone else for a dive for which you are not comfortable, you will always have the option of going with a divemaster.. Don;t overthink. Relax and have a good time.

In my book, there is no such thing as overthinking. I've not put my deposit down yet, so I still was able to back out if needed. I'll be putting it down later this week, but I needed to do my research beforehand.

I never go through the swimthroughs because my ears take time to equalize and it is not a problem. The diving is easy and beautiful and you only have to do what is comfortable and nothing is very difficult. I can understand that the propeller plane is uncomfortable but the flights are only 15 to 30 minutes so it is over quickly. I hope you decide to give it a try but you should do what you think is best for you.

In my book, there is no such thing as overthinking.

You may find that the more that you dive, the less you will overthink what you are doing, and the more you will enjoy being in the moment of such a beautiful and tranquil human experience.

Back
Top Bottom