Vintage Diving Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16305356086_1fe2bca48a.jpg

14021562_1766185106991666_508040526137993373_n.jpg

One thing I have always questioned "Where is the mid west?" Indiana ? Illinois ? Kansas ? I heat that term often related to a large geographical area.

While in Alaska I only saw one old red pick up with a red & white dive flag on the bumper- In California they are ubiquitous to almost every pick up.

Went to the dive shop in the "North Pole ...." First time we had ever been in a Log Cabin dive shop with animal mount instead of fish mountings . We both said lets get a Sweat shirt from the most northern Dive shop in the US at the "north pole"---- Nothing ! No sweat shirts - No T shirts

Sub zero temperature diving was pioneered in US by Jim Stewart of SIO and perfected by Joe Mc Innes of Sub Igloo fame in Canada. I am surprised that it has taken so long to migrate Alaska. But with the coming obsolesce of wet suit and continued perfection of the dry suits year round diving in Alaska will be perfected .and will arrive in your life time

By the way-- great used book store a few blocks from one of the dive shops in Anchorage. Surprising selection modern dive related books which were high quality and low prices. I did manage to find two books of marginal interest to me. Suggest placing it on your visit list

Getting coolish in Alaska -- 80 and very sunny here

SDM

Trapezus,
You never fail to amaze me ...What a thrill to wake up in the early morning pre light of day in California to another one of your submissions, whether it be videos or photographs

Today it was two great photographs of moments frozen in time from the very early and very historical JYC movie "Par 30 Metres de Fond"

It is interesting to note, as in so may of your wonderful submissions of divers from all over the world from the very inception of self contained dive to the introduction of the single hose regulator . The configuration of the equipment worn by the divers. the unique fins all apparently non are adjustable in different shapes and colors (if not in B & W} the mask (aka face plate) from the equalization bulbs to homemade and of course the tanks and regulators (aka Blocks) all shapes sizes and forms

The picture of the amphorae salvage, which rested for 2000 years under the sea is classic, It is being exhumed for all to marvel at hopefully in a museum for now an eternity

In California we also had out amphorae , but they were not amphora they were anchors, antique anchors the " yacht mans kedges" also known by the public as "Popeye Anchors" for it was his cartoons that made them famous.

On occasion we would unexpectedly discover them while diving, some times setting in the open other times buried under years of sediment, some were small and could be swam to the surface and others were huge requiring lift devices.

As a participant of recreational diving since the 1940s I was fortunate to have discovered and salvaged number of the anchors, some were small, and I swam the to the surface the larger ones up to and over 100 pounds I used the lift bags of the 1940s & 1950s the WW11 US surplus water bag aka the "Lister" bag which as I recall at this junction in my life was about equal to a 55 gallon metal drum, but it folded into a some what manageable size. ( I had some very interesting hair raising experiences with Lister bags and salvaging anchors - stories for a later date)

I now only have two anchors from that era are presentable in size about 5 foot tall and weigh about 50 to 75 pounds the others I salvaged have slowly slipped away .. as a gifts or I traded way

The current anchors along with five SCUBA bells are what is know in California and I assume the rest of the US as Yard Art and are all displayed in the yard.

The largest anchor that the tribe salvaged was 7000 pounds yachtsman's kedge located in 110 to 160 feet of water off Catalina Island on June 4 1960. This time we used reinforcement aka Rebar stock as toggles and 55 gallon drums as the lifting devices

Like the record 1000 foot Keller dive at Catalina short time later, which I was also a witness The anchor salvage was a success but also a tragedy involving 3 deaths- one on the dive, my room mate and the first and only LA Co UW instructor to drown Joe Bob Mc Cabe ( he was a Texan) who was poisoned by CO2 and recovered at 210 feet -- Later like Peter Small's wife Joes girlfriend took her life followed by Joes brother lost his life to an heart ailment ..three lives lost all is short order

The salvage was documented by the discoverer Bob Rutherford. The film shot by Bob won the professional photography category at the 1961 International Underwater Film Festival ( google: Legends of diving - Sea Sabers Signaling System--Bob also invented UW signaling ) and in several articles in Skin Diver Magazine and one "mans Magazine" of the era (which I have packed away)

The anchor was sold to Pierpont landing for $500.00. Up on the closing of Pierpont landing the anchor was donated to the Maritime Museum in San Pedro and now rest in front of the entrance - a silent tribute to the success and tragedy of "The Anchor that had to be raised.."

All this occurred before 1960 - only 56 years ago- in the era of exploration and experimentation of very crude equipment, often homemade, used by courageous divers to explore the unexplored - to dive places that had never been dove before

Thanks again Trapezus for ALL Your Post that bring back so many memories - some good some tragic as was this post but memories of an era that was experienced by only a select few and will never ever be experienced again

SAMUEL MILLER111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom