Mares Avanti Quattro + steel spring strap replacement - current options (Europe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

Despite care, systematic rinsing and protecting them from the sun, my and my wife's Mares Avanti Quatro + bungee fin strap have rotted away after 2 years of use (apparently it's a form of bacteria, happened to a lot of people around me, also on dry suit rubber elements- rubber goes all gooey then breaks).

I would like to invest in steel spring straps instead, but Mares has moved away from that equipment, and I don't want to buy more bungee straps...

Would anyone know which current fin straps are compatible with Mares Avanti Quatro fins without modifying/filing the fin?

i've browsed threads here, but most of the products mentionned are not readily available in Europe / or no longueur available.

I'm thinking of buying Tusa TA81 universal straps, but not sure if they actually work ( Tusa Spring Strap Set buy and offers on Scubastore )

Thanks for your tips!

Ben

Last edited:
Yes, but not so much on steel springs. I want to move away from bungee.
Thanks
ben

These kind of straps will work :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Diver-Spring-Fin-Straps/dp/B006TZGQ1W

But, you will need to carefully cut off a small notch of plastic that protrudes on the bottom of the fin post. Specifically this part:

c0df4eae54aabce0d097c71aa9f9955a.jpg

Very helpful, thanks! I'd seen them but was wondering.
Apparently the TUSA I mentioned earlier won't work on Mares fins.
I wish Mares hadn't stopped their own steel straps.
The bungees work fine, but are just not durable enough. I'd rather not worry about their condition every year or so, and fins do end up in the sun in the tropics everyonce in while...

Hi,

Despite care, systematic rinsing and protecting them from the sun, my and my wife's Mares Avanti Quatro + bungee fin strap have rotted away after 2 years of use (apparently it's a form of bacteria, happened to a lot of people around me, also on dry suit rubber elements- rubber goes all gooey then breaks).

I would like to invest in steel spring straps instead, but Mares has moved away from that equipment, and I don't want to buy more bungee straps...

Would anyone know which current fin straps are compatible with Mares Avanti Quatro fins without modifying/filing the fin?

i've browsed threads here, but most of the products mentionned are not readily available in Europe / or no longueur available.

I'm thinking of buying Tusa TA81 universal straps, but not sure if they actually work ( Tusa Spring Strap Set buy and offers on Scubastore )

Thanks for your tips!

Ben

I have those straps sitting in a box and some mares fins, I'll check tomorrow and post back, pun unintended.

Back
Top Bottom