Lights with GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Samsee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly i'm sure that this has probably been asked already so my apologies if someone has already asked this question!

I am going out to the great barrier reef next February and I am currently gearing up! I have a Gopro Hero 3+, Backskatter flip filter, and the SRP tray. I'm wondering if I am going to need lights as well. I've been looking around and have come across a variety of lights and found this set up. Has anyone had any experience with these? and was it a good experience?

upload_2016-10-25_15-2-34.jpeg

I have an Archon D11V video light. It has a Cree XM-L2 LED emitter, which are rated for a max of around 1100 lumens. Archon claims an actual 860 out the front. The subject has to be within about 3 feet of the camera to notice any difference in the video. Further away and the subject doesn't look any different than with no light at all.

That light you have the picture of seems to have specs of 300 lumens. That is so weak I definitely would not bother.

You can get a D11V on eBay for about $55. 2 of those wouldn't be BAD for the price. But, really, if you want them to make a good difference, you need something at least 2500 lumens or so (i.e. $$$$). I'm probably going to pick up a couple of Archon D36VR lights at some point. They are almost $400 each. But, they should put out an actual 5000 lumens (each). 2 of those should yield some nice video.

For u/w, good lights are WAY more important than the camera itself. 2 good lights and a GoPro will get better video than no lights and a fancy DSLR.... unless you're diving pretty shallow with a lot of ambient light.

I agree with stuartv about good lighting. I have a GoPro and we use two Light and Motion Sola 2000's. That's a lot of light but even then it's really only good for fairly close-up stuff. The vast majority of the time we are not using the lights at all. If I were you, I'd either spend the bucks to get some really nice lights or not get any at all.

By the way, I'm going to DEMA in a few weeks. The past two years I have picked up some SOLA lights from L&M for close to half price. Sometimes they are just discontinuing one model for a newer one. Let me know if you guys are interested and I'll check and see what they have.

I am interested in the Sola.

And what they said re. lights is true BUT for close shots or night diving every lumen ( wide angle) seems to help and i like those cheap LED add ons.

ok thanks guys... think ill save my money as can't afford uber good lights right now. Think i'll tinker with colours in post. i know it won't be as good but will suit my needs!

Just a quick question on another topic. I currently tether my camera to my bcd with a retractable lanyard to my tray. the footage is stable but could be better. Am i likely to get a more stable image if it is untethered?

I think so. We actually use a wrist lanyard but if I were you, I'd unclip it when I was shooting. I also tend to hold the tray/camera as far away as my arm will reach when filming.

I use a tray...on the right side I have a wrist lanyard; on the left side a bolt-snap clip. When at depth close to the bottom I typically take the lanyard off, since the lanyard can sometimes get in the way of positioning the camera in the right spot, particularly for macro shots. I also use a tripod, so obviously also better to have lanyard off for this. When ascending, I put the lanyard back or clip it off if doing something like shooting an SMB/safety sausage. If shooting wide-angle or mid-water, having the lanyard on is obviously safer

hello , i new in scuba diving , can u help me with your experience ..

i just bought 2 wide angle white flood light , it say one can give 6000 lumens so two of them 12k lumens ..

i spend 256 dollar for those light , do i still need filter to get a good shoot underwater ? or just the light is enough ?

i thinking about backscatter flip system if it a must .. i not good english and use google translate hope u can understand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom