Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you noticed any improvement? How much are you concentrating on your breathing during your dive? Are you using your inflator a lot to maintain buoyancy? Are your arms really active?

I think a lot of us ask this question initially (I was an air hog too) sooner you stop thinking about it and just become a comfortable diver the better IMO.
at first i really thought about it all the time but over the last 5 dives i had a little point and shoot with me so kind took my mind off the breathing and as my instructor is all so a personal friend i get to dive with him just for fun and he was out with me on dive 18 and he said he noticed a small improvement in AC so all i can say is i think im over thinking this and just to relax and breath

All divers as they progress from new, to somewhat experienced, to very experienced improve their SAC without studying these breathing techniques; I cut mine in half in 20 dives without thinking about my breathing; you have to account for this in a real test in order to be able to draw any real conclusions.

I just checked my log. I have had AI since I started diving, so I have my consumption data.

Dive #8 for me (#4 after finishing OW checkouts) was in Cozumel. My SAC was 0.57 cu-ft/min.

Dive #s 108 - 111 are my most recent non-training dives. My average SAC between the 4 dives was 0.65 cu-ft/min. Min 0.62. Max 0.68.

The Coz dive was a drift. The recent dives were on a wreck. All in all, I'd say my SAC hasn't really improved any, even though I have 10 times as many dives. And I think it's pretty average, for a guy my size, and has been since I started.

So much for sweeping generalizations based on anecdotal evidence of one person's experience ... and demanding rigorous scientific studies from anyone that disagrees.

@stuartv you have those all in subsurface correct? I am sure you know, but if not do a Ctrl-Y will give you annual stats pretty neat deal.

duplicate

Thanks, @gfaith. I had never looked at the Yearly Stats thing. I just checked it:

2014 - 8 dives - Avg SAC 0.71
2015 - 63 dives - Avg SAC 0.66
2016 - 48 dives - Avg SAC - 0.68

Hmm. I guess I did improve since I started. ;-)

So much for sweeping generalizations based on anecdotal evidence of one person's experience ... and demanding rigorous scientific studies from anyone that disagrees.

My opinion on improving SAC has always been general... get comfortable in the water, dial in weight, trim and buoyancy and you'll be on your way. I never asserted anything quantitative because IMO people over think their breathing.

My demanding "rigorous scientific studies" was after a very specific and quantitative assertion was made by someone and it wasn't phrased as personal experience but instead as known results using some breathing technique.

If you can't see the difference in that... meh.. don't care.

And congratulations on being immediately comfortable in the water or whatever your non-changing SAC means.

@stuartv Well I bet the intensity of your dives has increased more than the average vacation diver. I know my SAC goes up as I get deeper and close to NDL (or slightly exceed it) :)

Last edited:
@stuartv Well I bet the intensity of your dives has increased more than the average vacation diver. I know my SAC goes up as I get deeper and close to NDL (or slightly exceed it) :)

Dive #1 (after OW checkouts) for me was swimming with Bull Sharks near Cozumel. Dives 5 and 6 were in the Dos Ojos cenote (so, cavern dives). I don't know if I'd say my dives have gotten any more intense since then. :) Maybe that's why my SAC has stayed about the same. Or maybe it's all the Prozac... :rofl3: :wink:

Did you do "The Pit" cenote? It is really close to Dos Ojos.. Man I liked that dive, at 92 feet there is a hydrogen sulfide cloud and of course the tree sticking out of it is crazy cool.

The importance of proper breathing only becomes really obvious if you are diving deep maybe over 120or 140ft or if you are working hard. If you are relaxed and warm and floating around on a casual site seeing dive then breathing technique is not important.

I have found that a slower, cycle and a much more co.plete exhalation is the most efficient pattern. You got to remember to exhale all the way before starting to inhale. ,, Within reason of course.

Breath slow and deep and try not to move more than is needed, pull your self on bottom rather than kick and if you do get a little winded, stop and rest before continuing will help to conserve air.

I normally have a large enough tank that time rather than has supply is the limiting factor. Trying too hard to conserve air causes anxiety and can cause co2 headaches and is unwise and dangerous. The goal should be to remain calm and relaxed and the resulting air use should be good. Trying to force the issue by restricting breathing is NOT the way to generate calmness.

If you can act calm and relaxed, then your breathing pattern will reflect that and soon you will feel calm. The exact opposite of a fast, shallow,panting pattern. The feedback from your breathing pattern to your mental state is strong.

Back
Top Bottom