Where to next, love suggestions! Raja Ampat, PNG...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calliejlong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for a different place that I haven't been diving in Indonesia or possibly going to PNG. I have been to Komodo, Talumben/Seraya, Padang Bai, Nusa Lembongan, Lembeh, and now just returned from Ambon. I am into macro/weird critters (especially nudibranchs, rhinopias, pygmy seahorse) but am kind of intrigued about seeing wobbegongs as well. Thinking either about Misool area in Raja Ampat or PNG. Does anyone have any good input about either? or suggestions? This group steered me towards Ambon and I was quite happy there but there weren't a whole lot of nudis to see in my opinion. Would definitely consider going back there again though in the future. Thanks in advance!

I loved Misool. Certainly got to see the wierd with wobbegons and epulette sharks, others with better eyes than me loved the macro. Never once did I have a bad dive. Our 12 days wasn't enough

Milne Bay in PNG. I've been to all of the above, and while they're all great, PNG in general is a whole other experience. Look up Tawali Resort :)

If I were to go to Milne Bay...how many days diving would you suggest there? Tawali Resort looks wonderful. Looks like there are a few fun excursions there as well besides the diving.

At least a week in Milne Bay (5-6 days diving). There's such a variety of dive sites there to take advantage of. Plus you'll want at least half a day to go topside sightseeing, there's a few cool things not too far away from the resort (the skull cave is weirdly fun). I always enjoy my time in Milne Bay :)

One more question about Tawali...do you need to book far in advance for the resort? Also, I would have really liked to have gone there during my sons summer vacation from school but it looks like July isn't a month that would be recommended? or have you gone there during any of the summer months? If not, we can always take a vacation during his fall break in October but then he will also miss some extra days at school which I do not mind but since he is older the teachers are less helpful it seems to him making up work missed. We can go at either time of the year but want to work around the best conditions and good weather as well. Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to plan our next vacation!

I've been able to get in to Tawali on less than 2 weeks notice before. That being said, July is not just North American summer school holidays, but also Australian winter school holidays - and PNG is only a very short flight north for most Aussies. Lots of people travel then. Late July would likely be easier, because most Aus schools would be back in session by then.

July in PNG might be a bit windy and have some rougher boat trips, but that has little effect on the diving in my experience. The macro/muck sites are more sheltered anyway, but some of the outer reef trips they do might be a bit rough. The boat they use for the outer reefs is pretty big and stable though.

Just came back from Alor. Liked it really much and saw critters which I've never seen before. A bit less expensive than PNG.. You find pictures on my flickr-account: https://flic.kr/s/aHskFQ5Wfy . Will write a trip report soon.

Back
Top Bottom