Environmental jobs and scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnm_89

New
Reaction score
Hello. I just recently started diving and will be taking my test next week to be certified. I love diving and plan to continue taking classes to become a rescue diver or dive master. This winter I'm already signed up to be certified in nitrox and take the advanced diving course. I am also majoring in biology and plan on getting a Master's degree (preferably in Europe) in oceanography, limnology, marine science, environmental engineering, or something related. I love the biological aspects of aquatic studies, but I hear there isn't much money in marine bio. I would love to have a job diving that also incorporates an environmental aspect, but I also want to make decent money (over 50k/yr). Does anyone have suggestions or advice on fields that include both or which master's degree will be best? Also, does it matter if I get a master's degree in Europe or the U.S.? Thank you very much!

I met a gentleman in Hawaii this sumer who does reef recovery studies. He has been doing this work for many, many years. He travels all over the world and dives h almost every day. He was a really nice person to meet and dive with.

He is from Florida, Maybe you could look up his business (can't be that many who do what he does) and see if an internship might be available.

Your only limited by you resourcefulness. Good luck

Two suggestions:
1. If you want to work with marine mammals, I was told the psychology concentrations are important,(Dolphin experience in Bermuda)

2. If you want to get paid a living wage, consider small business classes so that you can set up a conservation consulting business to help communities clean up and protect their resources, ( granted that would be the tourist dependent ones). Good luck! The world needs more soldiers in the conservation front lines!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom