New Apeks model on the horizon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Admittedly I've only serviced Apeks regs and most recently G250s, the G250 design is IMO better in that it fits into a square block in the case making it very difficult to twist the barrel. I too use two wrenches with Apeks, would just rather not have to remove the face plate and diaphragm to ensure lever is straight. Not a big deal but an improvement (?) in design would be welcomed.

I have several brands of second stages and the barrel on all of them will move if you don't use 2 wrenches.

Sometimes I screw down the breathing effort knob, hold the reg by just the knob and tighten the hose with 1 wrench with out moving the barrel.

Yeah. Ever since I accidentally pulled out the 5th port on a DST when I was loosening the hose, I have always applied tension with 2 wrenches so I never noticed the issue.

Apeks are teasing with their new soon to be released reg:

View attachment 384215

Looks like a heavy duty bruiser. I reckon it will be a top of the line product.

I wonder if it will replace one or some of the existing model(s).

I am still toying with the ideal of getting a set of Flight. But for some reasons, I am just not sold on it. It feels a bit flimsy and the 2nd stage feels a bit small while breathing compare to my B2.

I'm scared, if it's pretty it's gonna cost me money. Lucky I have a barn full of G250s some of which I can sell to offset this potential purchase. If it's all metal, which from the photo I doubt, I'm in.
Forget about it mate.
DS4 + G250 is good enough for anyone.

When fitting or removing hoses or even just tightening jam nut the air barrel will twist in the case causing the lever to shift/tilt. It's not a big problem but requires the face plate and diaphragm to be removed anytime your fitting/removing hoses/jam nut so you can then straighten the barrel so the lever sits level. The design on the G250 is far superior in this area.

So, it is a known issue? I thought I was the only one changing hoses with the face plate off :). It also happens when torquing the jam nut (and yes I did get the service bulletin on the proper torque). Even with a 2nd wrench on the jam nut the barrel still turns a bit.

Looks like a heavy duty bruiser. I reckon it will be a top of the line product.

I wonder if it will replace one or some of the existing model(s).

I am still toying with the ideal of getting a set of Flight. But for some reasons, I am just not sold on it. It feels a bit flimsy and the 2nd stage feels a bit small while breathing compare to my B2.

Hopefully the new Apeks will avoid using a goofy, special, non-standard hose like the Flight uses.

Last edited:
Flight? No thank you, I'd never buy a reg, particularly targeted for travel diving, that uses proprietary hoses. I really think they made a mistake there. IIRC Aqualung did the same thing with one of their models but quickly went back to offering both versions. There is no way Apeks would use proprietary hoses again, I would guess it hurt the sales of the Flight and I'm sure they noticed.

Last edited:
Interesting.
Have only switched hoses 1 or 2 times on XTX series, maybe once on ATX. Never noticed anything different or realize it might be an issue. Do you apply tension with two wrenches?

When I service my regs, I haven't noticed any scratches on diaphragms or bent levers.

It doesn't generate enough force to bend the lever or sratch anything, the spring takes off the tension, it just causes the legs to sit off kilter. Yes, I use two wrenches. I just tighten up jam nut, fit hose and tighten up against each other and then turn the jam nut so the lever is again sitting level, then fit diaphragm and face plate. Like I said not a big deal but it is something to be aware of.

Flight? No thank you, I'd never buy a reg, particularly targeted for travel diving, that uses proprietary hoses. I really think they made a mistake there. IIRC Aqualung did the same thing with one of their models but quickly went back to offering both versions. There is no way Apeks would use proprietary hoses again,
I would guess it hurt the sales of the Flight and I'm sure they noticed.

It's amazing the goofy ideas that sometimes escape from the lab and hit the market!

It's amazing the goofy ideas that sometimes escape from the lab and hit the market!

Yes, I'd like to meet the design team and ask what the thought process was behind the use of proprietary hoses on a travel reg, well any reg for that matter. I know hoses are in the main pretty reliable but I wouldn't want to find myself needing a new hose in some far off location or on a boat in the middle of nowhere. Yes, you could carry spare hoses but that negates the whole super light angle.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom