Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2016-10-25_23-15-57.png

Just an additional info on what is discussed :
This graph represents the SAC of 15 ( in L/min) consecutive dives during a vacation on a LOB. As one can see, there is a tendency to a downtrend. However the correlation is very bad, not conclusive in my opinion R2= 0,4148 :(.

Did you do "The Pit" cenote? It is really close to Dos Ojos.. Man I liked that dive, at 92 feet there is a hydrogen sulfide cloud and of course the tree sticking out of it is crazy cool.

No. I just did 2 dives at Dos Ojos - one for each loop. That's my only cenote experience, so far. I would love to go back and do more. But, I'd really like to do Cavern and Intro or GUE Cave 1 before I go back.

at first i really thought about it all the time but over the last 5 dives i had a little point and shoot with me so kind took my mind off the breathing and as my instructor is all so a personal friend i get to dive with him just for fun and he was out with me on dive 18 and he said he noticed a small improvement ...//...
Hey,
PM me with an email address and I'll send you the three pages that I mentioned earlier.

OH, no more PM's. Private messages are now "Start a Conversation". *sigh* Isn't that what we are already doing? Change for the sake of change itself...

Anyway, shoot me an email if you so choose.

So not only is there no evidence this "breathing technique" does anything to help asthma patients

I also read that is accepted in Britain and Australia by the medical community as an effective method to help control asthma.
BTW Buteyko was a Russian scientist with their space program.

I also read that is accepted in Britain and Australia by the medical community as an effective method to help control asthma.
BTW Buteyko was a Russian scientist with their space program.

When I google'd the buteyko method as some suggested I didn't find anything that resembled an endorsement from anyone other than buteyko breathing centers. So, I don't know what article/source says it's an accepted treatment for asthma in the UK or Australia or what exactly that means but sure, alternative and holistic approaches exist everywhere, but that doesn't mean the actual medical community accepts or endorses it.

This is written up by an ICU physician. He discusses the "science" and theory behind the method and the studies that have been done to try and validate the claims.

Buteyko Breathing Technique – Nothing to Hyperventilate About « Science-Based Medicine

Also considering:

At the core of the Buteyko method is a series of reduced-breathing exercises that focus on nasal-breathing, breath-holding and relaxation.

Two of the three focuses of the method are not applicable to divers...

Two of the three focuses of the method are not applicable to divers...

Why are you knocking out breath-holding?

You can keep your airway open and not breath in or out - some call it "skip breathing" or "breath holding" and not get yourself in trouble. I do this on the bottom - this allows me to stay longer and the more I relax the longer the time period between inhalations and exhalations. I find it works for me when I am just looking around and in no hurry to get anywhere. Drift diving, staying in one area looking at sea life... :)

Isn't the number one rule of diving, don't hold your breath? :)

I may or may not be guilty of doing similarly when trying to be as still as possible for taking a photo.

Whether or not skip breathing improves SAC I suspect depends on lots of other factors, but from my reading on the buteyko method it didn't seem extremely useful to divers, YMMV.

Isn't the number one rule of diving, don't hold your breath? :)

Yes and it is - but why?

The why is if you "hold" your breath by closing your throat with your tongue or close your airway - you are in essence closing off the wind pipe and creating the dreaded "balloon" that gets used as an analogy - take that balloon and go up and just like your lungs it can pop if you go to far up.

But if you leave open your throat - allow air to go in and out - you are not creating a balloon that is closed off - you are allowing expanding gas to go in or out from your lungs. Try it by huffing and puffing quickly - you do not "hold your breath" by huffing and puffing quickly you are leaving your throat and airway open. Now slow this down - with practice you can do the same thing... :) The danger comes in closing your air way and going up as in vertical - not horizontal where there is no expansion.

So in summary - don't close your airway to create the balloon. You will be fine and as needed don't do this on your ascent.

My experience is that most experienced divers do not breath continuously. The ones that are in the training business practice letting a tiny stream of bubbles out or their mouth so nobody says they contradict themselves. The stream of bubbles is so small that I don't believe it is coming directly from their lungs but from air trapped in their mouth. The non training types bypass that step. The real, necessary rule is do not hold your breath while ascending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom