Dcs Incident At Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It may be appropriate to remind the participants in this thread about some rules and guidelines for the A&I forum:

Special Rules for the Accidents and Incidents Forum

Mishap analysis & "Blamestorming"

And finally, bowlofpetunias' excellent post about the Victim perspective:

That said, @michaela s , there is another aspect to the A&I forum: The main purpose of the discussions here is to find lessons we can apply to our own diving and improve the safety of our own diving. When information is scarce, it's natural to speculate. That may be appropriate, but it may also be inappropriate depending on the way we speculate. That balance isn't always easy to find, and some posts may seem overly harsh to those directly involved with a fatality even if they aren't necessary intended that way. There's a fine line here, and not even the moderators are always successful in seeing where that line goes. I want you to use the report button if there are posts that in your opinion violate the rules for the A&I forum, and I'd like to remind you that the best cure against speculation is factual information. If you have relevant information to share, that will help the Scubaboard community to understand what caused the loss of your husband's life and hopefully lessen the risks of something similar happening to other divers.

Thank you for joining us, and my sincere condolences for your loss.

I am reviving this thread because I am looking into this incident anew. If anyone has any newer information, I would appreciate it.

If nothing else, people should know that this was not an average Joe diver--he was a diver of some fame in the Czech Republic. He is not the kind of diver to make some sort of a silly mistake.

I am reviving this thread because I am looking into this incident anew. If anyone has any newer information, I would appreciate it.

If nothing else, people should know that this was not an average Joe diver--he was a diver of some fame in the Czech Republic. He is not the kind of diver to make some sort of a silly mistake.
Dont fool yourself John, Any diver can make some sort of a silly mistake at any level... happens all the time.

Dont fool yourself John, Any diver can make some sort of a silly mistake at any level... happens all the time.
Sure, but that is not what I meant. I think the earliest posts in this thread gave the impression that the diver was not able to handle the exit at the ear (which can be somewhat difficult), lost significant deco time as a result, and then walked away without showing any hint of a concern about it. That is not likely. This was a highly trained tech instructor who should be expected to handle a deco ascent through the ear (and know the eye is better for that). If he did blow the stops, he would absolutely know better than to walk away without a concern.

I only know scuttlebutt on this one. I was told he had done 5 or 6 days of serious deco dives in a row. That scares the hell out of me and am limiting myself to two or three days of deco dives and then a day or two rest. This a real problem for me. Someone knows what his profiles were. They can answer these questions, but they believe that I don't deserve to know. Which really means they believe that I don't deserve to be informed and safe. It pisses me off that they simply don't care about Joe Diver.

see website
http:// buddymag.cz/aktuality/tomas-sladek-zemrel-ve-stredu-6-dubna-po-patecnim-ponoru-s-ccr-liberty-v-ginnie-springs-florida-557

NetDoc, did you read this link, there's an English translation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom