Trim Weights - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am curious what to expect if I shift some weight to the trim weight pouches on my tank band.

I have an Aqua Lung Axiom i3 and dive with 14lbs in the integrated.

I was thinking of trying 5lbs in each of the integrated pouches, and putting 2 in each trim pouch.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences with this approach.

Thanks!

The whole idea is to get to a balanced rig. This basically means that your gear will never be negative enough to pin you to the bottom in times of strife.

I had an enlightened instructor many years ago who used "sail weights". Five pounds, looked like a vinyl covered hand grenade with a gate clip on top. Clipped them all over me until I was just neutral and in trim/

Can't find the damn things now on the net to save my life. Anybody?...

The main objective is to arrange the weight so that YOU are balanced in the water.

As an example. If you lay horizontal in the water, don't scull with your arms or legs. You should remain perfectly horizontal.
MOST divers don't remain horizontal, they tip backwards, sinking feet first. Adding trim weights will allow you to alter your c of g so that you do remain horizontal.

Poor trim is exhausting, a lot of divers are constantly fighting a roll backward ( or forwards), and also from left to right.
The fighting of poor trim is noticeable in new divers. More experienced divers often cope subconsciously with the issue. It's only after its addressed that people realise how exhausting it is.

Gareth

I would say that what effect you get from moving the weight depends a lot on your current trim. If you are in good horizontal trim without moving the weights then I would possibly not bother (moving them up to the cam bands might tip you forward).

If on the other hand you are constantly finning to maintain horizontal trim, then shifting them seems like a good idea.

@lowviz I did a quick search and found plenty of items when searching for "clip on weights scuba" - not 5lb but a mix of other weights though

Gear up and jump in a pool. Get horizontal and neutral mid water, close your eyes and count to 30 - what happens? I had 1 & 2 lb weights I could grab and figured out where they needed to go. I'm terribly foot heavy so ended up buying more neutral fins and 3 lbs on the top tank strap. If you have someone video your position on your actual dives it'll give you a lot of insight into what is going on with your trim. typically a bit of an eye opener

Weight distribution is important, but so is posture. If you're just limp and letting your legs dangle, no amount of moving weight around is going to overcome the problem.

Weight distribution is important, but so is posture. If you're just limp and letting your legs dangle, no amount of moving weight around is going to overcome the problem.
Very true - I find if I completely relax in the water my legs go down but if I am holding "proper trim" with arms forward and legs up, I am actually pretty stable.

Gear up and jump in a pool. Get horizontal and neutral mid water, close your eyes and count to 30 - what happens? I had 1 & 2 lb weights I could grab and figured out where they needed to go. I'm terribly foot heavy so ended up buying more neutral fins and 3 lbs on the top tank strap. If you have someone video your position on your actual dives it'll give you a lot of insight into what is going on with your trim. typically a bit of an eye opener

Hey Snowdog. My trim is quite good, but I think a couple of pounds forward would make it just right. Sometimes I fold my arms out in front and it seems to click. I guess that is what I was inquiring about; if the trim weights effectively move the center of gravity headward. Seems so. looking forward to trying it next month on Bonaire. Thanks.

Murky Waters, as has been mentioned, it depends on how your trim is currently. I have an Axiom BCD and use two pounds in each trim pocket. The main thing to keep in mind, in the unlikely event you need to dump your weight, you need to be able to jettison most of it to become positive to ascend to the surface. I think you'll find a small amount in your trim pockets will help immensely! BTW, where are you staying when you go to Bonaire?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom