multi day dive packages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm certain you must have misunderstood the price you could personally rent nitrox tanks for at Meridiano.

Nitrox has never ever been that low since they started doing nitrox fills - and those of us with accounts get a slightly lower rate than the general public. We charged $10 for nitrox up until a few years ago and had to up to $12 - we don't get colume discounts. The larger southern resort ops have their own compressors because they have to and they do enough volume for it to be cost effective - not to mention Meridiano won't deliver tanks that far south.

As far as the other costs involved and pricing - there are many expenses that factor into our (dive shop) prices - many that you would not possibly know about (nor should you be expected to). It's not just he tanks, fills, fuel and staff - there is Soo much more. I can assure you that pricing not only reflects the quality of the amenities and services, but the wages and benefits of the staff. For example, i have 3 staff members that have been with me for over 12 years - the others 2 and 5 years respectively. That speaks volumes here in the island and is worth something. Dave has covered this topic very well on many occasions so I'll Leave it at that :)

i am shocked to hear your cost on fills. those prices are much higher what i was told i could rent tanks for a couple of years ago. things change quickly i guess.
Here is their published price list but it may be out of date with reality: Precios - Meridiano 87

Rentals: 80 cf for 31 Pesos = $1.70 USD, 100 cf for 40 Pesos = $2.20 US

Owned: 80 cf for 29 Pesos = $1.60, 100 cf for 32 Pesos = $1.75 US, 120 high pressure for 45 Peso = $2.80 US.

Nitrox extra charge is about 60 Pesos = $3.30 US for 80s, about 70 Pesos or $3.80 US for 100s,.

Prices do include 16% Vat. Delivery is probably extra.

I cannot even start to guess why there is such a difference with what Dave said, but I guess I am missing something.

They probably charge Dave extra since he owns a compressor for the majority of his fills.

As far as the other costs involved and pricing - there are many expenses that factor into our (dive shop) prices - many that you would not possibly know about (nor should you be expected to). It's not just he tanks, fills, fuel and staff
Oh, I am sure that is right. I tried the cheapest shop on the island, and it was pretty bad - but I don't think they exist now. Dave mentioned his cost of fills, so I looked at their menu. Again, I can't even guess at the differences.

Here is their published price list but it may be out of date with reality: Precios - Meridiano 87

Rentals: 80 cf for 31 Pesos = $1.70 USD, 100 cf for 40 Pesos = $2.20 US

Owned: 80 cf for 29 Pesos = $1.60, 100 cf for 32 Pesos = $1.75 US, 120 high pressure for 45 Peso = $2.80 US.

Nitrox extra charge is about 60 Pesos = $3.30 US for 80s, about 70 Pesos or $3.80 US for 100s,.

Prices do include 16% Vat. Delivery is probably extra.

I cannot even start to guess why there is such a difference with what Dave said, but I guess I am missing something.

Don't know where you got that price list because it's not at all accurate - and listed prices do NOT include the 16% tax - that tax is added to my bill every week on top of the compressor bill.

You also need to factor in not only the actual charges we have to fill the tanks, but tank maintenance, analyzers and sensor replacements, delivery, etc. - and yes, we are all in business to earn a profit and in the case of a dive shop - a very modest living - we aren't in business to break even or give our service or goods away anymore than you all are willing to go to work without a paycheck or to provide your services or goods for free.

Last edited:
Don't know where you got that price list
At the link I listed: Precios - Meridiano 87

Like I said, it may not be up to date?

and listed prices do NOT include the 16% tax
Ok, I was just quoting their price list.

You also need to factor in not only the actual charges we have to fill the tanks, but tank maintenance, analyzers and sensor replacements, delivery, etc. - and yes, we are all in business to earn a profit and in the case of a dive shop - a very modest living -
No, I wouldn't dispute that at all. As I said, Dave mentioned a cost of filling tanks, so I looked at their menu. That's all.

Aldora uses 120's filled to 3500. The cost on the price list is 168 pesos for nitrox. Before Aldora started filling their own tanks, the peso was closer to 15 to one usd, Do the math and add the tax, that is probably were the $12 comes from.

Aldora uses 120's filled to 3500. The cost on the price list is 168 pesos for nitrox. Before Aldora started filling their own tanks, the peso was closer to 15 to one usd, Do the math and add the tax, that is probably were the $12 comes from.
Okee dokee, if that is the case. He did not say Nitrox and he did not "used to charge, when the Peso was stronger."
Just for the record for all who worry about every cent, the main fill station in Cozumel, Meridiano 87 charges us about $12 per tank for our HP 120s.
I don't think it's petty penny pinching to discuss prices. I realize that some higher priced shops deliver much more for the money, but you brought up fill costs. And those are Peso costs, not USD.

that price list because it's not at all accurate
Except that Christi says the website prices are wrong, so it's all confusing.

Dave, I thought Aldora filled their own tanks?

Yes, we do fill our own tanks but even with two compressors we find at times that both are kaput! I hate that but when it happens we have to buy from Meridiano. I was just quoting their price to give ya'll an idea of the real costs of providing a dive service and back up Christi.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom