Rescue course ( PADI ) in SM ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AFAIK, PADI has no problem with different configurations, including backmounted doubles. While I had a conversation with one of the training consultants about the i3 and sidemount, the response was 100% supportive.

I don't see PADI rescue as being aimed that way. As an instructor, it is my job to give the best course that I can. Teaching the bare minimum is embracing mediocrity, and that doesn't interest me very much.
OK, we got it. You are a great instructor. But the OP's question was about whether it was harder to teach Rescue in SM (not specified if the victim or the Rescuer is in SM); the first response (mine) was Yes, it is harder.

Thank you all - didn't even think of the I3 !!

Great group response re SM , will do a detailed equipment discussion per course - and will report back after Sunday

Late to the party, but I went through PADI Rescue in my sidemount rig (XDeep Stealth 2.0 classic). At the time I was diving with LP95 steels which I used for the class.

My attitude was it makes no sense to go learn skills and build muscle memory diving backmount when I NEVER dive backmount.

Was it a pain in the butt to do diver tows with LP95 steels? Yes it was. As far as unkitting: I dropped tanks, that was it.

Being the victim was a good experience for my two fellow students. Both were backmount only divers and were perplexed when trying to get me out of my kit.

TL;DR of it is I believe in practice how you play.

No, you get an instructor who trains you for different configurations so you can think if you ever are faced with such an emergency.
Would you care to suggest a short list that I can bring to my LDS? I am serious. I intend to regularly practice the rescue drills wherever I go, including up here in Northeast.

And what do you do with the cylinder(s) and attached reg(s) if you remove them from the victim? Sure, in training you hand them to an assistant, one hopes.

In training: same as I would with jacket bcds, weight belts etc etc - hand off to an assistant.

In a real situation: No consideration would be given to kit preservation, when I'm dealing with life preservation.

Obviously, this assumes a serious situation like unresponsive and/or non-breathing casualty.

For panicked divers, I'd probably remove cylinders once buoyancy was established and victim was sufficiently calm to present no danger.

Cylinders can easily be clipped off to a DSMB at the surface.

Hi mate, completed most of it in sidemount last month (did my back in and need to finish when it gets better). Doing it in sidemount is hard work. Would recommend getting hold of a pair of 7lt tanks reduce the weight you need to carry across the beach. Getting gear off is easy, get regs out of the road and dump BCD and tanks together don't mess about trying to un clip tanks. When being drag in make sure they take all your gear off. as it will get trashed when you get dragged onto the beach. Good luck. Weather looks a lot better than when I did I mine.

Paul

AFAIK, PADI has no problem with different configurations, including backmounted doubles. While I had a conversation with one of the training consultants about the i3 and sidemount, the response was 100% supportive.

I don't see PADI rescue as being aimed that way. As an instructor, it is my job to give the best course that I can. Teaching the bare minimum is embracing mediocrity, and that doesn't interest me very much.

You, boulderjohn, and some others here are at the forefront of what can be achieved within the confines of the PADI system. But thinking back on my Rescue class and the one my wife took, I just can't imagine most PADI instructors being keen on their students having two tanks. Wouldn't rescue/safety-related procedures in these configurations fit more readily into a Sidemount course or some course that backmount doubles divers take, such as Intro to Tech?

Would you care to suggest a short list that I can bring to my LDS? I am serious. I intend to regularly practice the rescue drills wherever I go, including up here in Northeast.

I would say the bare minimum should be sidemount, as that is more common and growing in popularity. If a LDS has an BCD with the Aqualung i3 inflation system, great, use it in the pool or open water.

If the i3 or sidemount are simply not available, it should be simulated by tucking the LPI hose under the arm so you have to go underwater to look for it (note I have not tried this, but it should be feasible). If that still isn't possible, the first opportunity you have when coming across someone with sidemount or an i3 inflation system is to ask them to act like a panicked diver and see for yourself what it is like to deal with it.

That's the best I can suggest.

In training: same as I would with jacket bcds, weight belts etc etc - hand off to an assistant.
I think I have a good dive site where the bottom is just gravel for conducting this course. I was thinking of putting tank lights on things to be discarded to make it as real as possible. In order to increase the stress level, I may be barking at them like a drill sergeant. Though I'll first talk with PADI to see if they say "we'd prefer if you didn't yell at your students during this skill." Yes, I am serious. I will have a sign that says:

"Emergency training in progress.
Please ignore any yelling by the lunatic instructor.
Thank you for your patience".

I'm sure some observers (and students) will think I'm thoroughly insane. But it may save someone's life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom