Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta save up first! So no purchase till that happens or my H3 fails.

Gotta save up first! So no purchase till that happens or my H3 fails.

This should give you time so the new computers are actually out in the market and have been tested on other divers :)

Given a choice between Shearwater and Ratio, I believe that the customer service delivered by Shearwater should be one of the most weighted factors in that choice. I also think that Ratio are trying to stuff too much functionality (and hence complexity) into their computers. I saw them at BTS; Will be interested to see how they look at DEMA.

Shearwater and Heinrichs Weikamp support is fantastic . Ratio - too early to tell. After my experience with the early adoption of dive computer technology with Seabear , I would now wait for a few generations. Obvious problems sign with new dive computer manufacturers is lack of communication with users, few firmware / software updates and untested functionality.

Obvious problems sign with new dive computer manufacturers is
... few firmware / software updates ...

Side note: why update if it ain't broken. Software updates are a very poor metric of anything because they may mean the product's so buggy it shouldn't've shipped in the first place, or perhaps it caught a bad strain of featuritis and is about to keel over from that.

The H3 had 2 bugs - that i know of.
On another note , if any H3 owners want to express their displeasure with the CEO of Seabear, Arne Sieber -Arne.Sieber@johnsonoutdoors.com
Or
asieber@gmx.at
After all he does still have this bullsh#t message plastered on the Seabear Facebook page....

“We at Seabear are embarking on the next stage in our evolution as innovation pioneers in underwater instrumentation. We share Johnson Outdoors’ dedication to continuous improvement, always striving to be the best at what we do….creating advanced, reliable products that make diving safer and more enjoyable. We are thrilled to join the Johnson Outdoors’ family, the SCUBAPRO brand and to be part of an exciting future,” says Arne Sieber, CEO

Last edited:
Received a new M2 unit (with transmitter and HR belt) from Johnson Outdoors via the exchange program. Sold it no problem for $900, which covers what I paid for the H3 in the first place. Of course, this does not fully compensate the hassles and cost of the multiple times I had to send my ill fated H3 unit back for service... but whatever - we will forgive Johnson Outdoors and move on. Until there is a better offer on the market, I am a happy Shearwater owner. Case closed.

On a side note, I can only say good things about the Thorntons (SubGravity). They ended up in the line of fire of this warranty mess and stood by their customers. Based on my experience, I would have no concerns about getting excellent support from them for high end tech equipment (check out the Bonex scooters that they import, for example).

I absolutely agree - Subgravity is professionally run company that looks after it's customers.

Glad to hear that, but I am living in Europe and I bought my wife's H3 second-hand from a US divemaster. If the H3 breaks down, whether it be a brittle screw or lines of dead pixels or anything else, I would like to know a bit about my options. I can involve consumer regulations and unions, which are nice rin Europe, I could do all kinds of things short of knocking on doors in Antibes or Austria, but I would very much rather have a responsive and even pro-active support line at Scubapro or Seabear.

BTW: is it possible to relate the brittle screws or dead pixels to a certain range of serial numbers ?

I would like to know a bit about my options.

Short of calling Johnson Outdoors, I don't know who else will be able to give an answer.

I can involve consumer regulations and unions, which are nice rin Europe

Ah, yes. unlike in Europe, in the good ol' USA manufacturers get away with all sorts of shady anti-consumer cartel behaviors. They will refuse warranty, if they don't like/control the final retailer ("unauthorized dealer" excuse). They refuse to sell parts to consumers for products they sold ("life-support equipment" argument). They fix the price on the market ("authorized" dealers are forced to maintain minimum advertised price). And all sorts of other cr*p.

is it possible to relate the brittle screws or dead pixels to a certain range of serial numbers ?

Somehow unlikely, given the relatively small number of H3s out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom