a few restaurant questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lionfish ceviche at La Perlita:

14641922_10210991781896193_6659959354502861652_n.jpg

Very good, but I think I liked the grouper ceviche better (also at La Perlita).

Steve

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin 'bout! I can almost TASTE it!

Lionfish ceviche at La Perlita:

14641922_10210991781896193_6659959354502861652_n.jpg

Very good, but I think I liked the grouper ceviche better (also at La Perlita).

Steve

Are the yellow bits mango? If so, I think I'd prefer it without that embellishment.

Are the yellow bits mango? If so, I think I'd prefer it without that embellishment.

It is mango, and it's amazing. However, they'll make it without if you ask. Ceviche, at least any that's worth eating, is made immediately before serving, so you should always be able to get it the way you want. If you hate mango, it's probably good to know ahead of time that they add it. If you don't really hate it, give it a shot.

I've become much more fond of ceviche made with naranja agría (bitter or Seville orange) than with lime. The ones they get in the area are really sour, but a bit "softer" than lime (of which I'm desperately fond in general) and goes really well with fish.

Mango goes well with fish. The pez león Xkalacoco (coconut-encrusted lionfish) at La Perlita tends to be overly sweet for me. They intermittently serve a mango salsa with it (always if you ask, but not always if you don't) that's delicious but further increases the sweetness. My solution is to order fillets a la plancha or al mojo de ajo and top it with a bit of the mango salsa.

I LOVE mango, just not with fish. I know others do. I have tried Hawaiian poke with mango and just don't care for fruit with my fish. My wife likes it. I would like to try ceviche made with sour/bitter orange. I have seen naranja agria on occasion at the Mexican grocery here in Atlanta. When we make ceviche at home, we often mix a little orange juice in with the lime juice, but for some reason it never occurred to me to use naranja agria. Well duh. As an aside, something we noticed in Coz is that there are seemingly ALWAYS lime wedges on the side, no matter what the dish. Ask for some more lime, and they give you a boatload of lime wedges. Compare that with Mexican restaurants in the US where if you ask for some extra lime because they only gave you one little wedge they bring you one more little wedge :(

Well, La Perlita puts a wedge of bitter orange on the plate instead of lime, but same idea.

Anyone planning to use bottled bitter orange juice to make ceviche I would advise not to try. It's great with fresh, though.

What I pay for one lime in NH will buy about 2 kilograms of limes in Cozumel, which might have something to do with how stingy US restaurants are with the limes.

Limes are 6/$1 here in NorCal at the moment, but avocados have jumped up to $2 each. AACK!

Agree on the coconut lionfish being too sweet at La Perlita (IMHO). I always go mojo de ajo - never too much garlic.

. . . What I pay for one lime in NH will buy about 2 kilograms of limes in Cozumel, which might have something to do with how stingy US restaurants are with the limes.

Yeah, I noticed how relatively inexpensive they were when we provisioned at the Mega. Are they government subsidized or something? I don't see any citrus plantations on Cozumel.

Yeah, I noticed how relatively inexpensive they were when we provisioned at the Mega. Are they government subsidized or something? I don't see any citrus plantations on Cozumel.

Limes aren't subsidized, they're just a massive requirement for Mexican cuisine and grown in Mexico. There was a big price hike a while back when cartels tried to get in on the lime action, but the government suppressed that. Many other fruits and vegetables are much less expensive than NOB as well, if they're grown in Mexico. If they're imported, that's a different story. Just check out apples on the island!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom